Biochem junior selected to be Goldwater Scholar

A biochemistry undergraduate was recently awarded a national scholarship recognizing achievement in mathematics, engineering and science.
    Eric Shows, currently at the top of his junior class, was one of 310 students this year named a Barry M. Goldwater Scholar.
    The Goldwater program provides up to $7,500 annually to students planning a career in research.
    The Ellisville native has conducted toxicology research in Mississippi State¡s Center for Environmental Health Sciences for the past three semesters.
    He is currently performing age-related studies on the effects of pesticides on humans.
    “It allows us to see how adults tolerate pesticides better than juveniles,” Shows said.
    Janice Chambers, director of the center, has high regard for Shows.
    “He’s got a real serious interest in research,” Chambers said. “He pitches in and wants to learn. You don¡t really see that kind of attitude too much these days.”
    In addition to his research, Shows maintains a 4.0 GPA while serving as head of the University Honors Council, as a member of Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key Honor Society and as an English as a Second Language conversation partner.
    Shows said he likes the personal nature of working in the English as a Second Language program.
    His conversation partner is a student from Nepal.
    “I know what it¡s like to learn another language,” Shows said. “They have to learn something totally new, and English is such a hard language to learn.”
    While Shows said that science is his “professional passion,” he partakes in other activities to give himself a break and a chance to work the other side of his brain.
    “It allows me to do something I like that¡s not so critical to my class work,” he said.
    Jack White, director of the University Honors Program, said he is proud of Shows.
    “Eric has been an outstanding MSU student during his whole time,” White said. “Really, we regard him as another staff member. He¡s so organized and professional.”
    Shows said he decided to apply for the Goldwater scholarship last fall after some active campaigning from his friends. White was one of the many individuals who helped him through the application process, Shows said.
    His father, Bobby Shows, a state representative, and his mother, Sandra, also offered their assistance, in addition to professors Walter Diehl and John Boyle and Chambers.
    Shows said he knew he had a strong application because of the great amount of help he received, but he was not sure what would happen after he submitted it.
    “I knew I had a good shot,” Shows said. “I felt I put my best foot forward, but I didn¡t know how that would compare to everybody else.”
    With the scholarship secured, Show plans to use the scholarship to prepare for a career in research.
    Shows said he is planning to attend graduate school to study a toxicology-related field.