Vines follow-up is pretty good

The Vines are back for another round, but the release of Winning Days may not be the follow-up fans were hoping for. It’s not a failure by any means, but the crazy brilliance that shone from their first attempt appears to have dimmed this time.
    Opening the album is a track that will leave you eager to experience all that The Vines have been up to these past few years. Entitled “Ride,” it starts with great use of the electric guitar and draws in the percussion as it leads up to an infectious chorus. It’s the kind of song you can’t seem to get enough of, but perhaps it’s because a lot of what you press on to hear sends you back wanting more of the first.
    It’s not that this is bad music. In fact, if you are a previous fan and experience an initial letdown, you’ll probably find that it’s a pretty decent album. Newcomers to the music shouldn’t have a problem. With hazy harmonies and definitive moods, the tracks on Winning Days will doubtless leave you asking for a second listen.
    “TV Pro” begins with a hypnotic sort of wail by Craig Nicholls, followed by a sudden burst of energetic vocals. This pattern continues, creating a confusing but successful combination of emotions.
    “Autumn Shade II” has that kind of beauty that almost hurts, due mostly to the trance-like effect of Nicholls’ vocal ability. “Amnesia,” with only five lines, is a four-and-a-half minute song that really will make you forget where you are. Ending the album is a provocative tune that looks more like the material on their first album.
    Maybe the problem here is that it’s doubtless going to be hard to pack the same punch with a second effort. The Vines showed us their stuff with the release of Highly Evolved and now they’re just showing us more.
    And considering that some of the tracks on Winning Days have been floating around for quite a few years, laziness also seems to be a possible roadblock for the band. But aside from it all, The Vines have managed to come back with a worthy second attempt. It may not outdo the first, but at least it provides an enjoyable time-killer for a more promising third.