Josh Blades bids a final fond farewell

This past year has been one for the ages.
    This university has undergone a great deal of change from top to bottom.
    Let me just take a second to tell you about the people who made so much of it happen.
    This year I had the pleasure to work with the finest people that Mississippi State University has to offer.
    These people gave generously of their time and talents without any expectation of recognition or compensation.
    The people that I am referring to are your 2003-2004 Student Association executive officers:
    *Juan McCullum-vice president
    *Claire Hardin-secretary
    *Christina Dennery-treasurer
    *Hunter Jones-attorney general
    *Kate McIntosh-chief of staff
    *Brian Freedman-assistant chief of staff
    *Marsey Odom-executive assistant
    *Adam Telle-executive aassistant
    I have never been around a group of people who cared more zealously and worked more diligently for this student body.
    They are the best execs that have ever come through this place, and it has been an honor to share this office with them.
    Also, the rubber meets the proverbial road with the Student Association Cabinet and Senate.
    Cabinet and Senate are the workhorses of the university, planning and implementing event after event, designing them with you in mind.
    They are public servants in the purest form.
    Every single event or program that the Student Association put on this year was a tremendous success because these three groups of people put aside their lives for a year to work for you, the student body.
    The first Gubernatorial Debate in Mississippi State University history-they made it happen.
    Bulldog Bash-they made it the largest free party in the state of Mississippi.
    The Night Route-they began this system that will completely change the way MSU looks at transportation.
    That extra 2 percent of tax that you pay when you buy your double-stack cheeseburger-they have made over $200,000 of that money work for you.
    There will even be a statue of the famed MSU alumnus “Sonny Montgomery” dedicated this next Homecoming because of their hard work.
    That “D” or “F” that you slipped up and made this year?
    Well, you will be able to retake the class and get that terrible grade stricken from your GPA because of these people.
    And, of course, Nickel Creek, moe. and Richard Johnston will be rocking the streets of Starkville on April 24 at Old Main Music Festival because of these folks.
    I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that things have been happening this year because these people have given their time and efforts selflessly to better the lives of every student at this institution.
    If you happen to see any of these folks, be sure to pat them on the back and thank them for all they have done-they deserve it.
    While this administration has experienced its last hurrah, the future of the SA is bright and promising.
    There is no doubt that next year’s administration will continue to impact lives through their own policies, programs, and events.
    This year has been the best year of my life. Bar none.
    So, just let me thank you for the opportunity to serve you this past year.
    It has been the greatest honor of my life to be able to serve the best student body in the nation. Thank you.
    Josh Blades is a senior in political science. He is the former SA president.