Lady Dawgs get best of former mates

Betty Ann Casey and Heidi Ondra each scored two goals as the current Mississippi State players netted a 4-2 victory in last Saturday’s second annual alumni game at the Mississippi State Soccer Field.
    The game pitted past Bulldog standouts against current Bulldog members in a friendly exhibition game.
    Former Bulldog midfielder Amber Meesey, whose eligibility ended after the 2003 season, said the new perspective of playing against girls she was playing with just five months ago was a nice change.
    “It was a good experience because it was a fun atmosphere compared to the usual high pressure situation that we normally play in,” Meesey said. “It was fun to get to play with some of the players that we’ve played with in the past.”
    The current Bulldogs got on the scoreboard first midway through the first half when Ondra connected on a one-touch that squeaked by the outstretched hands of the diving keeper.
    “We were trying to take it seriously even though it was a fun game,” Ondra said. “Everyone came out here and worked hard and we got the win.”
    State’s slim lead didn’t last long. Alumni midfielder Sam Schwenke evened the score at one near the end of the first half with a right-footed volley sent into the box by fellow midfielder Stacey Smith.
    Smith, a graduate of MSU in 2001, would give the alumni squad its first lead of the day with less than 15 minutes gone by in the second half.
    She quickly disposed of a lone ball dribbling aimlessly inside the 18 to give the alumni a brief 2-1 lead.
    “It was very exhilarating to score a goal on the new team,” Smith said. “It’s good to play with and see everybody that I don’t normally get to see because I’m from Arizona.”
    MSU tied the game midway through the second half on a blast from outside the 18 sent in by Betty Ann Casey.
    “I just looked in the corner and told myself that’s my target right there,” Casey said.
    Shortly thereafter, Ondra put the Bulldogs up for good as she netted her third goal of the week on a well-placed chip shot to beat the keeper far post.
    “I just took two good shots and they went in for me,” Ondra said.
    Casey added another late goal to polish the win for the current Bulldogs.
    “It’s great to score two goals on girls you played with a semester ago,” Casey said. “We had the competitive air, but it was all about having fun.”
    Head coach Neil McGuire said he was pleased with the way his team responded after trailing 2-1, but no matter the outcome, he loves being part of such a special game.
    “I love this type of environment,” McGuire said. “The opportunity to see some of our former players and the way that they integrate with the current players makes it a very fun experience.”