Grad student proposes new space policies

Graduate Student Steven Comerford will present theories and suggestions to NASA, Congress and President Bush’s Moon to Mars Commission May 3 and 4.
    The event will take place at the Asia Society in New York City and will air on CNN.
    Comerford said he got involved in the Moon to Mars Commission by submitting a 100-page report containing suggestions for improving the space program and education.
    “About a year ago I decided the direction the space program was going was wrong. We needed to reach further and faster,” Comerford said.
    Comerford said he will propose education bills that will give NASA ways to find new ideas, and he will stress the necessity of a strategic management plan.
    “What many people do not know is 40 percent of all NASA employees will be retiring in four years. My first education bill, the Scientific Education Empowerment Act, would provide bright children with the funding to earn their masters and Ph.D.s in return for a commitment to work for NASA,” Comerford said, “With all of the founding employees leaving NASA, a strategic management plan involving a board of non-scientists would greatly reduce the transition time for the new employees.”
    Comerford’s other education bill would promote NASA.
    “My bill would promote NASA by setting up a national space month, starting scientific foundations for educational grants and even putting out learning and interest games similar to Oregon Trail that would teach kids and spark their interest about NASA and the space program,” Comerford said.
    Doug Goodman, assistant professor of political science, said Comerford is a bright student.
    “He wrote and submitted a paper a year ago, and now he has been asked to testify before a congressional committee,” Goodman said.
    Most of the other presentations at the committee will be given by military heads and scientists with multiple degrees, Comerford said.
    “The only thing that makes me nervous is I am representing the average person in this country. Most of the other people invited to the hearing are experts in their field. I’m the only student to be invited to talk about public policy,” Comerford said.
    Another proposal will involve putting inactive nuclear weapons to use for a common good, Comerford said.
    “We should have a competition in the private sector for rocket launching and aid the winner in setting up the facilities for national rocket launching. I will propose the Commercial Space Act, which would allow the use of disarmed nuclear missiles for launching,” Comerford said. “Similar plans have been suggested, but nobody has made suggestions regarding the nuclear payloads currently on the nuclear missiles. I suggest each country disarm their nuclear missiles and give 50 percent of the nuclear payload to a chosen, stable underdeveloped country for the establishment of nuclear power plants.”
    There is always a fight between Congress and NASA because NASA is one of the most highly government funded private sectors in the U.S., Comerford said.
    “Each Congressman has his own agenda and ideas for what NASA’s mission should be, so they can rarely agree on anything,” Comerford said. “This is where the strategic management plan would help our chosen space program choose which missions to stress.”
    Comerford’s presentation will earn a lot of attention. It will be positive for him and his career as well as for Mississippi State’s public policy program, Goodman said.
    “The recognition and experience Comerford will gain through this event will help him to work towards his goals of earning his masters, doctorate and a political position,” Goodman said.
    Comerford, who studies public policy and administration, graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in political science. He was a running back for the football team. He speaks Japanese, Russian and French and wants to attend either Harvard or Yale to earn his Ph.D., he said.
    Political science professor Mfanya Tryman said Comerford is a hard worker who will do well in his studies here at State and anything else he attempts.
    “Steven is easy-going, intellectually curious about things, extremely well read and overall a good person,” Tryman said.
    America is an entrepreneur’s country, so citizens should be willing to promote national or even international competition for the best ideas and technologies and then be willing to work together to implement them, Comerford said.
    “The dream of science is bigger than any one of us. United we can surpass who we are as human beings and reach what is not attainable,” he said.