Aldermen delay tax decision

The Starkville Board of Aldermen decided Tuesday to continue discussions on the 2 percent tax proposal.
    “Our bill needs additional work, and we will have it ready by March 16,” Ward 2 Alderman Frank Davis said.
    At-large, Alderman Victor Zitta questioned if the next meeting would be enough time. He wanted the bill to be passed unanimously the first time as it is presented to the aldermen.
    “I feel it’s very important to have it passed on the first round. We may want to delay it for a year so we can pass it with a unanimous vote. I would really recommend that we as a board don’t go hastily,” Zitta said.
    Mayor Mack Rutledge said the aldermen might run into major problems if they delay the bill. The next legislative meeting is June 2005.
    Rutledge said it could be a bad time to vote because many Starkville residents and people concerned about the tax will be gone for the summer, and it would limit their time to revise after they send it to Jackson.
    “If it does go to next year’s Legislature, it will be a one-shot approval. I think there are some real problems with postponing it until the next legislative session. We would be inviting some problems we don’t really need,” said Rutledge.
    The aldermen agreed to continue discussion on the tax at the next meeting.
    Also during the meeting, an Oktibbeha County hospital assistant Administrator asked the aldermen to consider placing electrical wires that surround the hospital underground for safety and aesthetic reasons.
    The hospital is undergoing an expansion project and will move the helicopter landing area closer to the road. The estimated cost for moving the wires underground is $400,000.
    “It’s a very substantial addition. If you build something this close to the street, those overhead lines become objectionable,” said Roger Pryor, the architect for the expansion.
    Mike Andrews, assistant administrator for Oktibbeha County Hospital, said: “We have a lot of helicopters that come in from Jackson and Tupelo. It’s just a major safety problem. We’ve had some close calls there. We’ve had pilots complain.”
    Andrews said the hospital could not afford to pay the costs. It believes moving the wires would be beneficial to Starkville because the hospital is one of the biggest customers for the electric company.
    Davis questioned how much their electric usage would increase after the expansion is complete. Pryor said the electrical usage would increase considerably.
    “We’re adding 75,000 square feet. It’s essentially doubling. I don’t think it would be a stretch to say we’re doubling the electric usage,” Pryor said.
    Rutledge requested that the hospital consider cost sharing. The aldermen took the proposal under advisement.
    The aldermen will meet again March 16 at 5:30 p.m.