Pedestrian finds body near South Farm water tower

A pedestrian discovered a badly burned body on university property Saturday night.
    University spokesman Sammy McDavid said the individual found the body at roughly 5 p.m. Saturday while walking a dog. The body was discovered near the South Farm water tower on Buckner Lane.
    McDavid said the MSU Police Department, the state crime lab and Starkville fire departments are investigating the incident.
    “State crime lab technicians came to campus late Saturday night to examine the area where the body was found,” McDavid said. “The body was taken to the state medical examiners facility in Jackson for autopsy.”
    Ocktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt identified the body as that of former MSU student Arun Josyula.
    “We are 99 percent sure,” Hunt said. “We are doing some DNA studies to verify this. It is a common practice.”
    Hunt said it is suspected that the 29-year-old from India committed suicide. Authorities believe Josyula may have purchased gasoline from a nearby gas station and have put it in his backpack.
    Hunt confirmed gasoline caused the burns.
    “The cause of death was from thermal burns, covering approximately 95 percent of the total body surface,” Hunt said.
    MSU Chief of Police Tom Johnson said the results from the autopsy may not be ready soon.
    “It could be up to 30 days because of the condition of the body,” Johnson said. “They are going to have to do DNA analysis.”
    The MSU Police Department is investigating the circumstances of the death, Johnson said.
    Johnson said the Division of Student Affairs has been alerted to the situation and is ready to provide counseling for Josyula’s friends.
    “We are here to support students, and we have people available to provide assistance to those who need it,” Johnson said.