Students catching on to wireless Internet trend

Ten years ago, plugging a computer into a phone jack and creeping along the Information Superhighway was cutting edge technology. Today, Information Technology Services provides MSU students and faculty with wireless Internet in several public locations on campus.
    The technology allows users to access the Internet without the inconvenience of plugging their computer into a wall.
    The wireless service is networked in public areas such as Perry Cafeteria, The Colvard Union, the Drill Field and Mitchell Memorial Library. However, plans to enlarge the wireless network are constantly progressing.
    “We really hope to expand the wireless zones on campus. It’s already offered in several large locations on campus and over the past years it has moved towards academic and resident buildings,” MSU Systems and Networks director Timothy Griffin said. “But we’d like to expand even more.”
    Griffin added that students love the idea of wireless Internet on campus and that ITS would really like to see more students use it. However, Griffin says that many people just don’t know about the service.
    “I think having wireless Internet would be great, but I never really knew it existed here at State,” senior communication major Christina Kinney said. “It gives you so much freedom away from being stuck at a computer desk in one particular building.”
    With more and more students learning about wireless Internet on campus, ITS hopes to see requests for the service increase.
    “We’ve been delighted to walk in The Union or the library and see students sitting at a table in a group or alone working online,” Griffin said. “It’s just great because you can use it anywhere.”
    ITS has also made plans to upgrade its technology for faster service to users. And along with upgrading technology, ITS has taken precautions steps to ensure security to those logged into the system.
    Griffin explains that these steps include deploring a special security system called Virtual Private Network. VPN is the security system that MSU uses instead of relying on the built-in system of wireless Internet. Griffin said the built-in system can be unreliable, whereas the MSU system is virtually incapable of being broken into.
    “I’d like to reassure anyone who is worried about security. Our system is highly encrypted and very secure,” Griffin said. “All passwords and information are almost impossible to get.”
    Junior Lindsay Beckum said security was her main concern with wireless Internet. However, since she discovered that MSU used VPN, she no longer has any fear of hackers.
    And with plans to increase its speed and service area, wireless Internet on campus will provide students and faculty with an even better network.
    “The service is out there and we really encourage its use,” Griffin said. “It’s not really a new service but definitely an added service that can benefit anyone. We feel confident that it’s a good added network for MSU.”