Ludacris, Chingy perform in Canton

Whether he’s “Ludacris” or “Mr. Wiggles,” there is no denying that the Def Jam South artist is one of the rap game’s top entertainers.
    The former Atlanta DJ hit the stage with label-mates Chingy and DTP at the Canton Multipurpose Complex in Canton Nov. 22 as part of the Alcorn v. Jackson State University post-game party. DTP is comprised of I-20, Shawna, Lil’ Fate and T-Boy. Comedian Shawty, who has appeared on BET’s Comic View and has appeared in music videos for Bone Crusher and Clipse, hosted the event.
    Chingy was first to hit the stage with his hit single, “Right Thurr.” After performing a 30-minute set of material from his platinum album Jackpot, it was time for the headliner.
    Technical difficulties delayed Ludacris for about 25 minutes. Loud chants of, “We want Luda,” and, “Luda-cris,” filled the venue. When Ludacris hit the stage, however, he did not disappoint. Performing songs from all three of his multi-platinum albums, Ludacris got the crowd involved with his single “P-Poppin.”
    Chingy invited several girls on stage to dance to “Right Thurr.”
    After Ludacris performed for about 45 minutes, he was joined by Chingy. The rapper had changed from his denim jacket and was sporting a red “St. Louis” jacket and do-rag. Together the two performed Chingy’s other hit single, “Holidae In,” and Ludacris’ smash “Move Bitch” from his second LP. Chingy and members of DTP filled in for Mystikal on “Move Bitch.”
    DTP performed two tracks from their album Golden Grain. Shawna, whose style emulates that of other Chicago rappers Do or Die and Twista, sparked the crowd by performing songs from her upcoming album.
    Comedian Shawty said enjoyed the crowd energy and enjoyed being in Mississippi. “Yeah, I think the crowd was definitely crunk enough, and I like it down here,” Shawty said.
    After the show, Ludacris went to the Hilton in Jackson via a brown Ford Excursion on large chrome rims.
    Chingy talked to press in the VIP area, where he was joined by Shawty, who rolled consecutive “sevens” in a game of makeshift craps and spoke of the strictness of Canton police.
    Both Chingy and Ludacris complained of the poor acoustics in the complex, but Ludacris, who had a smile on his face throughout the show, said he would make do.
    Josh Foreman contributed to this report.