MSU professors perform in recital

Assistant music professor Dr. Rebecca Koenigberg graced the stage with her recital to MSU faculty and staff last night. The event took place in the Bettersworth Auditorium of the Giles Architecture building.
    Koenigberg performed songs from various musical genres, including featured works by composers Leonard Bernstein, Ricky Ian Gordon, Richard Strauss and Luis Gonzalez. Accompanying Koenigberg was pianist and MSU assistant music professor Roseangela Sebba.
    Hailing from the small town of Elbow Lake, Minn., Koenigberg grew up in a musical family.
    “My parents both taught music in the school system,” Koneigberg said. “My father was the high school chorus teacher for 35 years, and my mother was an elementary music teacher for 30 years.”
    Koenigberg received her doctorate and master’s degrees in vocal performance and pedagogy from the University of Colorado in Boulder. She has a bachelor’s degree from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn. After completing her schooling at Bolder, she accepted a position with the MSU music education department.
    “We had a somewhat crazy year last year, my family and I,” Koenigberg said. “In August of 2001, I finished my doctorate, in September had a baby and started here at MSU in November. Thankfully I have such a terrific husband, Brian, who understood and moved across the country with me.”
    Some of Koenigberg’s long list of accomplishments includes performing lead roles with the Milwaukee Skylight Opera, serving as a national finalist in the Metropolitan Opera auditions and being a finalist in the San Francisco Opera competition. She has sung with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, the Arapahoe Philharmonic and the Longmont Symphony, just to name a few.
    Koenigberg is considered a lyric soprano and can strike high notes in her octave range. Although music is one of her main passions, she said she also enjoys the simpler things in life.
    “I lead a wonderfully balanced life,” Koenigberg said. “I have a great family, good friends and am constantly exposed to music in all kinds of forms. To unwind, I enjoy spending time with loved ones and reconnecting with old friends.”
    As a celebrated artist with several achievements under her belt, she credits her greatest accomplishment to the birth of her daughter, Kaija Meta.
    “Her first name is Norwegian. They include the letters ‘ij’ to make the ‘y’ sound,” Koenigberg said. “Her middle name is a family name. Including all of the things I’ve done, that’s what makes me the proudest.”
    While many performers pride themselves on leaving their mark in the world of performing arts, Koenigberg said she hopes for something a little more personal.
    “I don’t want to necessarily leave a mark,” Koenigberg said. “I just want to take every opportunity to move someone in the audience that hears me perform.” That’s what’s important to me.”