MSU welcomes new coaches

The coaching carousel continues to spin in college football, and the Mississippi State Bulldogs jumped on it at the end of last season. Following his second consecutive three-win season, head coach Jackie Sherrill made changes to his staff when he fired both offensive and defensive coordinators, as well as the receivers coach, offensive centers and guards coach and the defensive line coach. Sherrill has already filled most of these positions.
    Replacing Joe Lee Dunn as the defensive coordinator will be 40-year-old Ron Cooper, who comes in with quite a resumZ and a wealth of coaching experience. He comes to MSU by way of the University of Wisconsin, where he just finished up as the defensive backs coach for one season, helping the team to an Alamo Bowl win over the No. 14 Colorado Buffaloes.
    His brief time with the Badgers was successful as he coached the top two pass pickers in the Big 10. Cooper has also spent time as a head coach from 1995 to 1997. He led the Louisville Cardinals to a 7-4 record his first year. His team led the nation in forced turnovers and finished ninth nationally in scoring defense. Cooper then took over at Alabama A&M in 1998, when they jumped to Division 1AA, and in 2000 he had them in the SWAC title game with the nation’s leading run defense. Cooper also served as an assistant coach at Notre Dame in 1991 and 1992.
    Cooper’s fellow defensive newcomer is 41-year-old John Blake. Blake has been running the “Chance to Advance” football camp the past four seasons. His clients include pro-bowler Keith Brooking of the Falcons and pro-bowler Jason Taylor of the Dolphins.
    Blake has both college and NFL coaching experience. From 1995-98 he was the head coach at the University of Oklahoma. While his 11-22 record is not that impressive, he knows talent. Blake recruited 18 of the 22 players that won the 2000 National Championship at OU.
    Before that Blake was the defensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 1993 to 1995. The Cowboys won the Super Bowl in 1995 and won the NFC all three seasons. In ’94 Blake’s line led the NFL in rushing defense and in his three seasons he coached three pro-bowl selections.
    The new offensive coordinator will be Morris Watts, who finished his fourth season at Michigan State last year. Watts will also assume the role of the quarterbacks’ coach for the Bulldogs.
    In 2001, Watts was nominated for the Broyles Award, given annually to the nation’s top assistant coach. During that season, Watts led the Spartans to the Big 10’s top passing and total offense. His quarterback, Jeff Smoker, ranked sixth nationally in 2001 in passing efficiency.
    Watts is no stranger to SEC play. He was the offensive coordinator at LSU from 1995 to 1998. During that time the Tigers won conference rushing titles in both ’96 and ’97. His ’96-’98 teams were three of the highest scoring teams in school history.
    Watts also has NFL experience from when he was Tampa Bay’s quarterbacks’ coach in 1991.
    Former Delta State coach Steve Campbell will work with Bulldog defensive linemen. In 2000, Campbell led Delta State to the Division II National Championship, where he had not one but two 1,400 yard rushers.
    Campbell spent last season as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Middle Tennessee State University. During that season MTSU ranked 23rd nationally in rushing offense, averaging almost 90 more yards per game on the ground than the Bulldogs.
    Sherrill has yet to name his new wide receivers coach. While the announcement might be made sometime within the next week, Sherrill said he wants to take his time to decide on the right man for the job.
    The new staff begins preparing for the season opener when MSU hosts Oregon.