ITS tries wireless internet access

Mississippi State University’s Information Technology Services is working to implement wireless Internet access across campus. The university first installed wireless access points on campus in the summer of 2001, but now students are more able to utilize this technological advancement.
    “It [wireless access] is available to all faculty, staff and students, and all you need to access it is a properly equipped computer or PDA and your NetID/PIN. We are definitely not switching to wireless for our network infrastructure; wireless is just an additional technology that greatly augments and enhances the existing and still growing wired network,” Timothy Griffin, director of Systems and Networks at MSU, said.
    With the availability of a wireless connection, students and faculty can access the Internet from almost anywhere on campus, whether from the center of the Drill Field, within the quiet walls of the Chapel of Memories or on the platform of the Amphitheater.
    Griffin explained that the goal is “to ultimately overlay the entire campus with wireless coverage,” including buildings where the wired network is already available. Wireless access is available in many of the dorms, educational buildings and sorority and fraternity houses, as well as the Intramural Fields.
    “Since most students rely on the Internet to obtain information pertaining to their classes on a daily basis, the Internet service should be fast, efficient and readily available,” sophomore Misti McDaniel said.
    Wireless Internet will not only give students quick, efficient service, it will also increase the availability of access on campus, offering a broader availability to those who do not wish to be confined to their rooms for time on-line. A wider availability, however, may yield minor consequences.
    According to Information Technology Services, a typical wired network connection ranges from 10 to 100 times faster than a wireless connection; however, a wireless connection is generally up 30 times faster than a dial-up modem connection.
    And because many wireless networks show more vulnerability to hacking and other security threats, the MSU wireless network has taken precautions to protect its faculty and students. An extremely secure Virtual Private Network serves to protect the students and faculty of MSU from these potential threats.
    The proper equipment required for wireless access includes: a correctly configured wireless 802.1 lb. network adapter for a notebook or hand-held computer and the necessary VPN client software. PC-adapters sell for roughly $100-150, but many laptop computers now come with built-in support for this type of network. More information concerning computer requirements is available at: http://www.its.msstate.edu/Services/WirelessNetwork/index.php.
    Griffin said ITS sees the importance and benefits of offering wireless Internet access to students.
    “We believe it [wireless Internet] to be an essential added technology for students. Most universities are deploying wireless to at least some degree. What we hope to accomplish is to make the Internet and other networked resources of MSU as available as they possibly can be to our students and faculty,” Griffin said.