MSU inducts new scholars

MSU inducted approximately 40 students into the Society of Scholars during its annual ceremony held Nov. 20 in the Tulley Auditorium at Thompson Hall.
    According to its Web site, the Society of Scholars in the Arts and Sciences is a university wide honorary society dedicated to honoring academic excellence for those pursuing a liberal education.
    The society was established in 1981 by Edward McGlone, former dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. In addition, a number of local Phi Beta Kappa members, other interested sponsors and faculty helped establish the society with the purpose of recognizing individuals for their scholarly achievement in the liberal arts. Since then, there have been more than 400 students honored with membership.
    One of the most recent inductees is Ashley Crawford, a senior in communication. Crawford is a member of the Chi Omega sorority and vice president of the Lambda Sigma honor society.
    “It (being inducted into the Society of Scholars) was definitely an honor and a humbling experience,” Crawford said.
    According to the Web site, being inducted into the Society of Scholars is considered a great honor because the selection criteria are so stringent. Scholars must be of at least junior standing and have taken at least 12 hours of foreign languages courses, 12 hours of natural sciences and/or mathematics, nine hours of written and/or oral communication, sixhours of social sciences and sixhours of humanities, all in addition to maintaining a high grade point average.
    In addition, selection is further limited by the restriction that each year no more than approximately 8 percent of the graduating class of the College of Arts and Sciences may be admitted into the society.
    Another inductee was 2002-03 Miss MSU Kathryn Hooks, a senior in communication and member of Chi Omega, Lambda Pi Eta and the MSU Fashion Board.
    “Being selected for induction into the Society of Scholars is one of the most meaningful honors I have ever received,” Hooks said.
    “I felt humbled and privileged when I discovered faculty members had chosen me as one of a handful of student within the entire college to be recognized.”
    “The Society of Scholars is unique because it recognizes the student/professor relationship. The society asks the professors introducing the students to talk more about who they are as individuals than their activities and achievements,” Hooks said.