West Nile bites again

The Mississippi Department of Health Services announced last week the first human death this year in Mississippi resulting from West Nile virus, which last year was responsible for nearly 12 deaths in Mississippi and nearly 300 in the United States.
    So far, only 30 cases of the mosquito-born virus have been reported in Mississippi, approximately one-third as many as at this time last year.
    Sally Slavinski, DVM, an Epidemiologist with the MDH attributes the decline of infections to several factors.
    “The biggest factor may be the amount of the virus in the environment. This may be attributed to the environment itself or the mosquito control efforts by the public or organized mosquito control efforts by local government,” Slavinski said.
    The distribution of severe versus less-severe cases has also contributed to the decline.
    “Last year 80 percent of West Nile cases were of the more severe variety whereas this year the distribution is more even,” Slavinski said.
    Symptoms of the virus are often mild or flu-like and may include headache, fever, a rash, muscle weakness and swollen lymph nodes. In more severe cases, the virus may develop into encephalitis or meningitis, which may result in paralysis, coma or death.
    Although infections are down this year from last year, state officials are still encouraging residents to take necessary precautions to avoid infections.
    The MDHS Web site offered the following ways to prevent mosquito bites:
    * Wear long sleeved, long legged clothing with socks and shoes when outdoors.
    * Use a mosquito repellent with the ingredient DEET on any exposed skin.
    * Avoid mosquitoes when possible. Most species of mosquitoes are more active during dusk and dawn.
    The MDH is also encouraging residents to be publicly active in identifying the location of the virus because it has been appearing in many different areas of the state.
    As West Nile can affect birds, animals, and humans there are a few signs to look for in spotting possible West Nile cases. Dead birds are commonly found in infected areas. Crows and blue jays are the most susceptible to the virus.
    Individuals can access an online bird-reporting page on the MDHS Web site or call 1-800-WST-NILE for instructions on reporting bird or animal deaths.
    Another way to prevent problems from mosquito bites is to control their population growth as much as possible.
    MSU has taken some precautionary steps to benefit its students and faculty.
    Bill Broyles, Associate Director of the Student Health Center said: “The Physical Plant began spraying last year in order to control the mosquito population on campus and they continue to do so this year. Campus Landscaping is also draining any standing water on campus and is treating any water that can not be drained.”