Campus involvement enhances MSU experience

Starkville is a town of a little under 22,000 people according to the 2000 Census. It is not exactly a cultural center. Many have complained for years that there is not much to do around here. After living here for four years, I have become fond of Starkville, and think it is a wonderful place.
    I remember coming here as a freshman, so I can sympathize with those incoming freshmen, transfer students and others who are new to the area and are not aware of things to do.
    People who are new to the area have yet to make many friends. They do not know the places to hang out and are not yet completely acquainted with Starkville.
    MSU’s very diverse campus is just what these newcomers to Starkville need. MSU offers a variety of activities and clubs that will fit the needs of any student. There are over 300 registered student organizations on campus.
    These organizations range from religious and social groups to community service and recreational groups. No matter what a person may like to do, MSU has an organization that will fit their personality or preference. A full list of these may be found either in the Student Association office or on the MSU Web site.
    Student involvement is necessary for enjoying yourself in Starkville. Being involved not only directs you to the places to party and the people to hang out with, but also helps you academically and in many other areas.
    Meeting other people who share your interests can lead you to new experiences. New people you meet can direct you to valuable resources that may otherwise go unnoticed.
    Academically, students can be helped in a variety of ways. When you meet new people (especially upperclassmen), many of these students have already had classes that you may have to take in the future. These students know what teachers are the best and they can give insight on various study groups that can be of further assistance.
    Your world and comfort zone will expand if you let it. Inevitably, you will meet people who have different ethnic backgrounds and be introduced to new cultures. This helps a student to enrich the college experience and to be more understanding of things he may not otherwise understand.
    However, the danger of becoming involved on campus is that students may become too immersed in their activities and forget the reason for being in college in the first place-to earn a degree. Time management is a key to a successful college experience.
    There is a wealth of opportunities here on campus, but students need to finish their work before they can participate. Events should not take priority over studies. If the work is not done, then the event must wait. Remember that if classes are not passed, then being culturally diverse and knowing the right people will be the least of a student’s worries.
    Ultimately, the college experience is what one makes of it. MSU has done a great job of ensuring that there is a wealth of activities for students of all races, cultures and origins.
    The student’s responsibility is to take the initiative to find out what these many organizations are and which ones are right for them.
    Nyerere Tryman is a graduate student in public policy and administration. He can be reached at [email protected].