Estimated 20,000 pack streets for Bash

Josh Winter, the bassist for Falter, greets a roaring crowd on Starkville streets at Bulldog Bash.

An estimated 20,000 people flooded the Cotton District Friday night to take part in what Edwin McCain called the most well-organized college venue at which he has ever played.
    Organizers and participants said the fourth annual Bulldog Bash could not have gone smoother.
    The event, sponsored by the Student Association and the division of Student Affairs, drew a crowd that filled University Drive and surrounding streets with students, alumni and tailgaters. Eight bands performed on three stages, with Will Hoge taking center stage around 10 p.m. and Edwin McCain following at 11:15 p.m.
    Student Association president Josh Blades said he was pleased by how well the event turned out Friday.
    “I think everybody had a great time,” Blades said. “I was walking around looking for something to do all night-something gone wrong-but there was nothing.”
    The Cotton District’s streets were crowded but maneuverable Friday night. Lines for food and beer were long, but participants joked about the heat while they waited.
    Some participants listened to the festival’s eight bands, while others hoped for a chance to ride a mechanical bull placed at the end of Page Avenue. Still others sat inside Roxie’s Square Table Spoon, lured by the “$10 all-you-can-drink” special.
    Several Cotton District restaurants reported record sales for the night, while vendors who had set up temporary booths along University Drive reported selling all of their food soon after sundown.
    Starkville police officers could be seen patrolling the streets in pairs, wearing black hats and gloves to match their black uniforms. But party-goers behaved for the most part. The Starkville Police Department reported fewer than 10 Bulldog Bash-related arrests the entire night.
    Hobie Hobart, general manager of Bulldog Deli on University Drive, said the night was the most successful the Bulldog Deli has experienced in 23 years of business.
    “In 23 years, a record sales night,” Hobart said. “I know for a fact The Grill had their all-time sales record, too.
    “Bulldog Bash brought ’em to my front door-and I love to have people at my front door,” he added.
    Bulldog Deli was only one of many restaurants serving food at the Bash. Seven food vendors not located in the Cotton District set up tents on University Drive and peddled a wide variety of culinary treats.
    In addition to serving hamburgers, hot dogs and turkey legs, vendors displayed barbecue ribs and chicken gyros.
    Hobart said he felt the event’s success was due largely to the SA’s careful planning.
    “(The SA was) very conscientious of how things were going,” he said.
    Blades said Student Association members Travis Wolfe and Andrea Slocum are most responsible for planning and executing the event.
    One thing the Student Association made sure of was that people had plenty of live music to listen to.
    “I went for the music,” junior John Halpin Caldwell said. “I didn’t watch Edwin McCain … but Mile 8 is a great band.”
    Will Hoge, sporting a thin beard and a gray-pinstriped blazer, opened with the Rolling Stones’ “Jumping Jack Flash” before playing some of his original songs.
    More people crowded University Drive in front of the main stage to hear Edwin McCain, who played his hits “I’ll Be” and “I Could Not Ask For More” and encored with Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May.” Blades and Student Association Chief of Staff Kate McIntosh took a break from supervising the festival to listen to McCain.
    Blades said McCain complemented the event backstage after the show.
    “We were backstage talking to Edwin and he just up and said, ‘This is the most organized and well-run college venue I’ve ever been to,'” Blades said.
    Afterwards, Student Association members picked up trash.
    “The last SA person left at about 8:30 (a.m.),” Blades said.
    I was here at 6 o’clock the next morning,” Hobart said. “Besides the smell of beer, you would’ve never known there was a party here.”
    Blades said he has high hopes for next year’s festival, and he and the Student Association have already started thinking about how to make the festival bigger.
    “I think Travis and Andrea are going to hit it hard early this year,” he said. “There’s no telling how big it could be next year.”