Zimmerman inks with Golden State Warriors

On NBA draft night a select few are extended an invitation to play at the highest level of basketball in the world. Young men from all over the globe wait in anticipation for their name to be called. Finally a short, bespectacled man who looks like he shouldn’t be anywhere near a basketball, steps to the podium to reveal the fate of those waiting.
    With all the high school and foreign talent available, only two schools had more than one player get selected in the NBA draft: Kansas and Mississippi State.
    Bulldog point guard Derrick Zimmerman was one of those to hear his name called that night.
    “Being drafted brought on a feeling of relief,” said Zimmerman. “I felt as though all my hard work had paid off.”
    Not only do the players have to prove themselves on the college basketball scene, they also have to show their skills on a more personal level.
    Zimmerman felt he truly showed that he belonged at the pre-draft camp of about 60 players in Chicago.
    “The camp in Chicago was my chance to prove myself,” said Zimmerman. “Coming out of the camp I felt like I had assured myself as one of the best players available.”
    Drafted in the second round by the Golden State Warriors, Zimmerman has the chance to take his game to a whole new audience.
    One member of the basketball world had already taken notice of the point guard’s abilities.
    “Derrick had an outstanding career at Mississippi State,” said Warriors general manager Gary St. Jean. “What stuck out about Derrick at the camp was that he is a real special athlete.”
    “When head coach Eric Musselman showed me the stats, it had Derrick rated as one of the top seven players out of the entire 60-plus players in Chicago.”
    Zimmerman wasn’t the only Bulldog to hear his name called that night in June. Junior center Mario Austin was selected just a few picks before Zimmerman in the second round by the Chicago Bulls.
    Austin is currently playing basketball in Russia but is still affiliated the Bulls. Neither Austin nor any Bulls representative were available for comment.
    Both of the former Bulldogs participated in summer leagues for their respective teams. The league is designed to develop confidence in young players and allow them to get accustomed to some of the young talent they will be playing with in the NBA.
    Zimmerman started at point guard and led his team in blocks and assists. He averaged five points a game and was second on the team in total minutes played. Austin averaged 10.2 points per game and finished second on the team in rebounds.
    Life in the NBA is not easy to become accustomed to when you hail from Monroe, La., and York, Ala., respectively. But as Zimmerman said the life isn’t the hardest thing to get used to.
    “The business aspect of the NBA game is hard to get used to,” said Zimmerman. “But that is just the nature of the game.”
    As a second round pick, no contract is guaranteed. But Zimmerman knows that if he works hard, there is a spot on that roster for number 22.
    “I had a good summer season and was invited to vet camp,” said Zimmerman. “I know that if I play to my ability I can be a part of the team.”
    Editor’s note:Zimmerman’s hard work and summer success began to pay off on Thursday when he inked a contract with the Warriors.
    Terms of the contract were not released.