Cash County brings unusual mix to Dark Horse Tavern

It may not be a football weekend in Starkville, but that is no reason to dust off the old suitcase and head home.
    This Saturday at Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern, the Cash County Survivors will bestow a brand of music on fans that many think shouldn’t be missed. A blend of country, punk, surf and rock, Cash Co. Survivors differ from most bands that play the college scene.
    Cash County embraces a Southern lyrical style with the energy of rock ‘n’ roll. Cash County not only uses the basic instruments usually seen in a band, but sometimes breaks out the banjo and mandolin. Their country influence comes from a cross of Johnny Cash and Uncle Tupelo, while their twangy surf element is brought in by guitarist Chris Bogen.
    During their shows the Cash County Survivors like to provide a visual element along with their tunes.
    “It is almost like a theater set on stage sometimes. We have stage props like wooden devils that we like to set up,” said Jason Triplett, guitar player and MSU grad student.
    When possible, the band likes to play movies on a screen behind them to add to the visual component of their shows. The band originated in Oxford where Triplett was playing with another band. Soon after, things started to dissolve. After that he made the move to Starkville.
    “We have fun when we play. It’s a pretty energetic show,” Triplett said. “And we love playing at the Tavern because a lot of great bands have come through there and the built-in audience at the Dark Horse is expecting to hear some original songs, not just covers.”
    Their originals have interesting song titles such as, “One of these Saturday Nights Will Kill Me.”
    Cash County also plays an eclectic, unusual mix of covers. They play songs by Tennessee Ernie Ford, The Clash, Louie Armstrong and Beck.
    “We love finding an elusive song and giving it a twist,” Triplett said.