Nu South Playaz bring hip-hop to Bulldog Bash

The Nu South Playaz. The name conjures images of a “bling bling,” “look at my Bentley” rap group.
    On the contrary, NSP is a four-piece ensemble that covers everything from hip-hop and rhythm and blues to rock. NSP will perform this Friday night at Bulldog Bash on the stage next to the Grill at 10:30.
    “They’re a hip-hop cover band, basically,” Student Association external events co-director Travis Wolfe said. “I saw them this weekend. They’re just real fun to dance to.”
    Wolfe said that when he saw the group play, their playlist was very current.
    The band cover’s all of today’s hip-hop music, including Jay-z, Juvenile, Outkast, Nelly, Eminem and 50 Cent. In addition to performing their own shows, they have opened for rap acts Ludacris and Bubba Sparxxx.
    NSP isn’t limited to rap music, however. Their song list covers artists such as Wyclef, George Clinton and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The extensive play list can be attributed to band members’ individual musical tastes.
    Jordan Daniels is a student at Mississippi State and is looking forward to seeing NSP at Bulldog Bash. “You don’t see a lot of hip hop cover bands but I think they will put on a good show,” Daniels said.
    Will Gaiters, Fleetwood Nelson, Torrence Scott and Mike Tisdale make up the Nu South Playaz. Gaiters mans the drums, Nelson handles the keyboard and lead vocals, Scott is on the bass and Tisdale plays guitar. Although Nelson handles lead vocals, all of the band members contribute vocals to the tracks. Each member of the group has a different influence that adds to the band’s range.
    Gaiters said he has a passion for rock music as well as hip hop. Mike Tisdale has a Dave Matthews-type vibe. The band’s love for all types of music allows them to play old school hits from James Brown, The Commodores, Prince and the Rolling Stones.
    The group formed in Atlanta four years ago and has been performing live at parties, concerts and festivals since then.
    Though they are a cover band for now, the group hopes to put out some of their original music in the next year.
    “We all have different styles and different tastes in music. Hopefully our music will catch on,” Gaiters said.
    NSP has not decided whether they will play some of their original material at Bulldog Bash this Friday or not.
    “It really depends on the crowd, if they are feeling us then we might do it to see what kind of response we get,” Gaiters said.
    NSP’s stage show includes choreography and a lot of energy. “We will be all over the stage and setting it off,” Gaiters said.
    Gaiters and his band mates know there are some serious hurdles to clear for a hip-hop band to make it in the music business.
    “The toughest thing is to get younger listeners into the instruments. If a kid sees you with an instrument you are labeled as lame,” Gaiters said.
    The only hip-hop bands that have achieved widespread success while playing instruments are The Roots and Black Eyed Peas.
    “Hopefully, our groove can speak for itself and people will dig the music,” Gaiters said.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT&™2STR
    o”