Soccer unable to net home victories

The Mississippi State soccer team ended its 2003 home unbeaten streak with a 1-0 loss to Auburn on Friday night and continued the action on Sunday with a 1-1 tie against Alabama. MSU is now 7-7-2, with a Southeastern Conference mark of 1-4-1.
    Match One
    The Auburn Tigers picked up their first win at the MSU Soccer Field since 1995 on Friday night by a lone goal from Sarah Steinmann. The reigning SEC Soccer Athlete of the Year took a through pass from Rhonda Brooks into the box and scored on a far post shot in the 19th minute.
    State’s defense contained the Tigers for the remainder of the half with strong play from the back four and MSU keeper Luisa Marzotto. Auburn took six shots in the first half and held MSU to only two.
    The Bulldogs came out in the second half in a new formation hoping to solve the Auburn defense.
    “At half coach told us the game was ours and all we had to do was take it,” said senior Elke D’Hollander. “We came out fired up but unfortunately couldn’t get the goal.”
    In the second half, the Bulldogs played more aggressively, tallying six shots and limiting the Tigers to two, but were not able to net the equalizer.
    MSU’s best scoring chance came in the 85th minute off a free kick from D’Hollander. She dropped the kick behind Auburn defense to MSU’s Betty Anne Casey who deflected the ball. Auburn net-minder Megan Rivera came up with the save.
    “They told me I had space in the back so that’s where I put the ball,” explained D’Hollander. “Unfortunately the deflection went to the keeper.”
    Head coach Neil McGuire said that despite the final score he was pleased with the way his team played against a very talented Auburn team.
    “Obviously I’m disappointed with the loss, but we came out and played well tonight,” said McGuire.
    Match Two
    Sunday’s match against SEC west rival Alabama started quickly with both teams scoring in the first 11 minutes of play. However, the pace then slowed. Neither team was able to net another goal even with two overtime periods.
    The Crimson Tide scored first with a goal from Gillian Kilburn off the assist from Allison DeLisle. DeLisle took advantage of a defensive miscue from the Bulldogs and served a ball into the box for Kilburn, who hit the shot off the goal and into the back of the net less than five minutes into the game.
    MSU’s Heidi Ondra scored less than six minutes later to tie the score at one. Ondra took advantage of a Tide miscue and redirected Allison Mullen’s missed shot into the net past UA keeper Laura Lowman.
    “We (the MSU defense) decided this wasn’t how we were going to end it,” said MSU keeper Louisa Marzotto. “We weren’t going to end on a cheap goal. We were going to fight until the end.”
    MSU had a few good looks in the second half but the Alabama defense made quick recoveries to stop the Bulldogs.
    McGuire credits the style of play from Alabama for keeping the Bulldogs off the scoreboard in the second half.
    “Any time you get to the goal you look for better execution,” said McGuire. “The pressure they applied and the speed at which they were doing it was very, very difficult to score goals.”
    Alabama could not get past the MSU defense for a quality shot at the goal.
    “I don’t adjust differently (in overtime); I just keep myself focused throughout the game,” said Marzotto. “I can’t afford to lose my focus.”
    State had good scoring chances in each of the two overtime periods. In the first overtime, Lowman forced Casey to send her shot wide right. Megan Nugent had MSU’s best scoring chance in the second overtime period but her shot from about 30 yards out went high of the goal.
    McGuire expressed disappointed with not getting a win against Alabama and said the team will have to regroup and rest to prepare for next weekend’s action against Florida and South Carolina.
    “I’m never happy with not winning,” said McGuire. “It (the tie) was a better result for Alabama than us.”