Cross country freshmen adjust

Being a freshman at a major university is tough. There are classes where assignments are due every time you turn around. There are roommates who can leave pans of eggs unwashed for weeks at a time. There are no parents, which is good because it gives you freedom, but bad because it only really gives you the freedom to work, pay bills and wash clothes.
    All of these things are tough on incoming freshman. But can you imagine adding to this load the stresses of being a student athlete? Can you imagine adding workouts twice a day? Can you imagine missing class time to go across the nation to compete with other athletes?
    This is the life of a Mississippi State cross country runner.
    Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams at MSU are in the midst of a major youth movement.
    The men’s team, in its first season of competition since 1995, is almost exclusively freshman.
    The women’s team, though fielding only two freshmen, has no senior members on their roster. This youth movement creates a wealth of potential for the future of Bulldog cross country, but creates difficult growing pains for the program in the present.
    “Time management is a big thing for the freshmen,” says men’s cross-country head coach Steve Dudley. “Most of these kids don’t really realize how much they get done for them at home. Combine that with going to class, studying, and practice, and all of a sudden there’s not much time left in the 24-hour day.”
    “There’s not much time for errands,” says freshman runner Joy Griffith. “After classes and two practices, and study hall at night, you’re just squished for time. So you don’t get a chance to do things that you need to like go to the bank, or the grocery store, or Wal-Mart.”
    Griffith comes to MSU from Alabama, where she holds three state track records and numerous state titles. She also says running at the college level creates a problem at the social level.
    “You’re busy all day and your with the team all day, so eventually the team becomes your entire social group. Which is great, but there’s just not much opportunity to branch out and meet people.”
    Freshman Brett Marlin says that the rigorous practice schedule is what is toughest on him.
    “Coach Dudley really hammers out the practices,” says Marlin, a 5A State Championship winner at Tupelo. “They seem impossible to get through. But you just have to break them down, and take them one step at a time.”
    All these factors are placed square on the shoulders of each athlete as soon as they arrive at Mississippi State. And though this is a tough road to walk down, it is a necessary one, and according to Dudley, one they just have to learn to deal with.
    “They can mismanage their time for a while in the beginning, but eventually it will catch up with them,” Dudley says.
    “When that happens their quality begins to suffer, and they won’t be successful. My job is to mold them, and combine school and running into one routine.”
    Despite all the obstacles laid before these runners, there are many positives to be drawn from the experience of being student athletes.
    Not only is running for competition a boost for a runner’s physical health, it is also a mental boost to be able to compete with the most elite athletes in the country on a regular basis. And while dealing with the challenges of time management may be stressful, it teaches athletes a degree of mental toughness and personal accountability.
    It is also a way to have fun, and be a part of something. Both Marlin and Griffith say that the campus life and the competitions are extremely enjoyable.
    “We had a meet earlier in the year at Notre Dame, and that was great,” Marlin said. “We got to stay the night in Chicago and it just turned out to be a really fun trip.”
    “I’ve been a State fan all my life, so to get to go here is just great. I really like the dorm life. I live in Hawthorne Hall with the rest of the team, and it’s like a big family.”
    Griffith has been pleased with her decision to come to MSU for other reasons.
    “I love the campus,” says Griffith. “It is just beautiful. And the people are great. (Being from Alabama,) I have always heard that people here at State were very friendly, and that is so true.”
    Griffith says the Auburn Invitational as her favorite competition to date.
    “When we won the meet at Auburn, it was raining hard,” recalled Griffith. We were running through huge puddles and slipping down hills. It was great.”
    Both squads will be in action this weekend as the Bulldogs host MSU Invitational, on Saturday. This will be the team’s final tune up before the SEC Championships begin Nov. 3 in Athens, Ga.