SA misled students

The Student Association should be applauded for bringing the first ever gubernatorial debate to Mississippi State. According to the SA, the debate was to serve two purposes: “to inform MSU students and the surrounding community on topics of political importance and to expose the citizens of Mississippi to the stance of each candidate on selected topics.”
    After being billed as an informative debate geared toward the student body, one would be surprised to learn that only 0.3 percent of the student population was fortunate enough to acquire tickets.
    Even as the candidates’ responses become a fading memory, a couple of questions still linger concerning the debate: Why was the event billed as a student-centered event if only a few were able to obtain tickets? Why weren’t students more accurately informed of the scarcity of the tickets before the event?
    Instead of basking in the glory of their “accomplishment,” perhaps the SA should step forward and offer an explanation or even an apology for this debacle.
    I recognize the SA had to make certain concessions to the campaigns in order to bring the debate to MSU. However, I take issue with the SA’s advertising strategy for the event. It amounts to nothing more than the classic bait-and-switch.
    The banners around campus and quotes from SA officials misled the student body and made it appear as though a much larger percentage than 0.3 percent would be able to attend. When the SA fought to get as many tickets as possible, who reasonably would have guessed that equated to 47?
    Ultimately, the big losers here are the students. The SA failed to achieve their mission of making the student body more informed. If anything, we got a lesson in deceptive advertising.
    Laura E. Rayburn is sophomore broadcast meteorology major.