Broussard influenced by old school soul

When I talked to 21-year-old Marc, he was hanging out at his house in Lafayette, La. He had just gotten off a 5-week Maroon 5 tour, which he described as “pretty intense.”
    Broussard will perform at Rick’s Caf tonight at 9.
    Jules: What is your earliest musical memory?
    Marc: When I was 5 was the first time I was ever on stage. It was in Florida. My family would go to Destin every year on vacation and that year my dad put me onstage.
    Jules: How has that memory shaped the music you create?
    Marc: It definitely has given me an edge as far as performing goes. I have 16 years of performing under my belt, so it gives me an advantage over-I don’t want to say my competition-but over other people in the business.
    Jules: Who are some of your influences?
    Marc: Of course my family. My dad’s played music all his life and my granddad and my aunt play music. When I was growing up my dad listened to a lot of jazz and R&B like Otis Redding and Stevie Wonder, so that’s what I listened to. As I started coming into my own I started listening to modern R&B artists like Brian McKnight.
    Jules: How have those influences affected your lyrics and the musical structure of your songs?
    Marc: I think it just all filters in and comes out as what I do. Like, I don’t know if I can say I got this idea from Stevie, you know? I try to do my own thing. They all just jumble together to make something that I hope people will like.
    Jules: When do you normally write or feel most creative?
    Marc: There are no specific times when I write. It boils down to inspiration and whenever I feel music coming, or whenever I pick up my guitar and start playing something.
    Jules: How does being on the road affect your creative ability?
    Marc: I think it enhances it because there are so many experiences when you’re on the road. You have to be aware of what’s going on around you. I try at all times to be as present as I can and because of that I’m able to pull from my experiences for my songs.
    Jules: What sparks the creation of a new song?
    Marc: Just life in general. I don’t have a trigger. Whenever I see three red lights in a row, then I have to put that in a song, you know? Whatever comes, comes.
    Jules: Ever had a muse?
    Marc: I’ve had several muses throughout my life. I won’t mention their names.
    Jules: If you could only have one album to listen to for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
    Marc: Redemption’s Son by Joseph Arthur. It takes you through a complete emotional journey and it’s just a really great record. I like it a lot.
    Jules: Who’s your favorite Beatle?
    Marc: Paul, because he’s the coolest. Paul can sing, he can play and he’s just a sweet guy, you know? I really aspire to be like Paul McCartney. Who doesn’t like Paul McCartney? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anybody who doesn’t like Paul.
    Jules: How does a Halloween audience and atmosphere affect the mood of your show?
    Marc: The show turns into a craze fest. It’s really fun because people are down for whatever. We’ll throw down some tunes that we wouldn’t normally play and it’s just a lot of fun.
    Jules: What is the single most valuable lesson your chosen profession has taught you?
    Marc: I guess just to always be nice cause you just never know who you’re talking to. Always being nice can open so many doors.
    To learn more about Broussard and his music, including upcoming tour dates, check out www.marcbroussard.com.