MSU STD rates similar to state

Mississippi State University’s of rates of sexually transmitted diseases are similar to the state’s percentages.
    Mississippi leads the nation by having the top percentage rate of people infected with the STDs gonorrhea and chlamydia.
    “STD percentages are not given out because of confidentiality (at the Longest Student Health Center), but since this is a college campus the numbers are consistent with the state’s average,” said health educator Jennifer Fuller.
    According to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Web site, exposure to the disease occurs during oral, vaginal and anal sex during which these areas become infected with the disease and can cause infertility, especially in women. Women between the ages of 15 and 24 are most commonly infected.
    “One thing you find in STDs is a lot of regional liability,” said Dr. Robert K. Collins, director of the Longest Student Health Center. “Mississippi is leading in gonorrhea and chlamydia, while northern states like Illinois are leading in trichomoniasis (STD commonly known as “trick”).”
    Fuller said he encourages sexually active students use some form of protection but places a greater emphasis on abstinence as the ultimate preventative measure.
    “Abstinence is the only real prevention from the two diseases or any STD. But if you have sex, know your partner, use some type of condom and both partners should be tested for STDs,”Fuller said.
    The health center, located on Hardy Road, provides free health education throughout the year for students. Fuller conducts the seminars campus on safe sex and STDs.
    Fuller’s office is on the third floor of the health center is open for all students that need information or have health concerns.
    The health center also provides free supplies of condoms for students through Fuller’s office. The center’s pharmacy, located on the second floor of the health center, provides alternative types of protection for sale.
    Fuller said the proper prevention steps could help stop the spreading of chlamydia and gonorrhea.