Homecoming brings up-and-coming New Jersey talent

Tonight, when the sun sets behind the Mississippi State Amphitheater, one of Rolling Stone magazine’s top 100 guitarists will perform for students.
    Robert Randolph and the Family Band, who combine pedal steel guitar, organ and traditional instruments to create a gospel-flavored brand of rock, will perform at 7:30.
    If previous shows are a testament to Randolph’s musical talent, this evening will be filled with soul-filled rock ‘n’ roll.
    Randolph has made a splash in the musical world playing the pedal steel guitar-an instrument usually found in country songs and at luaus. Randolph has become so skilled at playing the instrument that he recently came in at No. 97 on Rolling Stone’s “The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time” list.
    “You never know what he will do next on stage. I love that he wears football and basketball jerseys to his shows,” said junior communication major Heather Allen.
    Randolph said part of his influence comes from the House of God Church in New Jersey.
    “My church influenced me to continue playing skillfully and soulfully just like they play in the House of God,” Randolph said.
    Touting a new studio album, Unclassified, this young group seems to be riding high. They have appeared on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and “Last Call with Carson Daly.” VH1 is airing live concerts of Randolph and the Family Band with two coming up this month. Their video is now playing on various music networks.
    Randolph said he loves to perform-especially in the South.
    Randolph hails form New Jersey, but told The Reflector in August he loves playing in the Deep South because people get into the music.
    It’s not hard to discover where the Family Band’s name came from. Randolph and his bandmates are literally family.
    Marcus Randolph, who plays drums, and Danyel Morgan, who plays bass, are both Robert Randolph’s cousins.
    John Ginty is the exception. Robert Randolph said he met Ginty playing in bars in New York CIty.
    Ginty adds uniqueness to the band, playing the B-3 organ.
    Although Ginty is not related to his bandmates, they affectionately refer to him as their third cousin.
    “I’ve seen Robert Randolph and the Family Band a few times and they get better and better every time,” senior Sara Beth Stockton said. “They are the best if you want to dance and have a good time.”
    For more information visit www.robertrandolph.net. The Web site includes concert information, merchandise, bios, clips from their video and weekly up-dates.
    A Reflector reporter asked Randolph a questions about future plans and playing at Mississippi State.
    Kit: How has the feedback been since the music video came out?
    Robert: It’s been great so far. A lot of new people have been turned on to the band because of all the airplay we’ve had on VH1. All kinds of people have told me they’ve seen the video, old and young, black and white, so it makes us happy that people are seeing it and discovering the record.
    Kit: The media response to Unclassified?
    Robert: We’ve been getting awesome reviews almost everywhere-Vibe, Rolling Stone, USA Today and lots more, so it’s been very gratifying to me that people are embracing the record.
    Kit: Who do you plan to tour with in the future?
    Robert: Well, we’ll have to see what happens. We are going to be headlining our own shows through the fall and then maybe pair up with somebody for bigger shows early next year. We’ve opened lots of shows for Dave Matthews, John Mayer and others, but I’m not sure yet who we’ll be with next year…
    Kit: Do you want to tour out of the country?
    Robert: Of course. We’ve already been to England, Australia, Switzerland, Spain and Finland and then we are going to Japan in December. It’s fun to see the reaction we get from all the different audiences around the world. We’ll be all over Europe and Asia next year.
    Kit: Future goals for the Family Band?
    Robert: Just to keep making great records and playing great shows. And to keep bringing a positive message to people, so they can have a great experience when they see us play or listen to the records.
    Kit: Have you ever played in Mississippi before?
    Robert: Well, we have been to Oxford a bunch and it’s awesome. We’ve also played in Jackson a few times and that’s fun, too. The South rules!
    Kit: The Oxford scene is different from Mississippi State’s. What are your expectations for the Starkville show?
    Robert: Well, it’s your homecoming weekend and I’m expecting a rowdy crowd that’s ready to have some fun and we’re gonna give it to them!
    Kit: Have you been writing any new songs while on tour?
    Robert: We’re always messing around with new ideas at soundchecks and when we are on the tour bus, so new songs and jams show up in the set all the time.
    Kit: Will you wear a MSU football or basketball jersey when you play here the night before Homecoming?
    Robert: Oh yeah, if they give us the jerseys, we’ll wear ’em, don’t worry!