Homecoming reunites Dunn, Sherrill across gridiron

As alumni return for Homecoming festivities, all eyes at Scott Field will gaze upon the reunion of Jackie Sherrill and Memphis defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn.
    Sherrill dismissed Dunn from his duties as defensive coordinator last year. Dunn led the MSU defense to several top 10 rankings in his tenure (1996-2002), including a couple of No. 1 rankings.
    The two have not spoken since a charity golf tournament in May.
    Sherrill downplayed the reunion when the Memphis Tigers (3-2, 0-2) look to knock off their second Southeastern Conference opponent of the year, while Mississippi State (1-4,1-1) will try to pick up their first win over a Conference USA squad.
    The Tigers defeated Mississippi 44-34 earlier this year. MSU lost 31-28 at Tulane and 42-35 at Houston, both C-USA members.
    Memphis is coming off of a devastating 24-10 Homecoming loss to University of Alabama-Birmingham. On the other hand, the Bulldogs are coming off of their first win of the season against Vanderbilt.
    The Memphis Defense:
    The Memphis defense is much improved from last year and they are getting better with every game. The Tigers have four interceptions and seven sacks on the season.
    “They’ll play Three Deep and put eight on the line to try and pressure the quarterback,” Sherrill said. “They give you different looks in the secondary.”
    “You’ve got to beat (Dunn) by playing sound football,” MSU offensive coordinator Morris Watts said. “I have a lot of respect for what he does. He’s had a lot of success.”
    Watts and Dunn have a mutual respect for each other. They both run schemes that are unpredictable. The one that can be the best predictor will win.
    The Memphis Offense:
    Junior quarterback Danny Wimprine leads the Tiger offense. Wimprine tops the Memphis all-time passing list with over 5,400 career passing yards. He has thrown for 1,298 yards, eight touchdowns and has completed 61 percent of his passes so far this season. His touchdown to interception ratio is 2:1.
    Wimprine’s counterpart in his air assault is the former quarterback. The new receiver, Maurice Avery, has 400 receiving yards and three touchdowns this season.
    Mississippi State must also shut down the powerful Memphis ground attack led by sophomore DeAngelo Williams.
    In six starts Williams has averaged 113 rushing yards, 47 receiving yards and over 200 all-purpose yards.
    “Williams and Wimprine are very talented,” MSU head coach Jackie Sherrill said.
    “You got to beat him playing sound football,” MSU offensive coordinator Morris Watts said. “I have a lot of respect for what he does. He’s had a lot of success.”