New Lady Bulldogs mark territory in final scrimmage

Injuries to three starters didn’t keep the Mississippi State Lady Bulldogs from scrimmaging Saturday afternoon. The remaining players performed as well as expected.
    “The new players, especially the two freshman, had a better understanding,” head coach Sharon Fanning said. “They’re starting to run the floor harder
    and there was better communication.”
    One of those freshman is 6-foot-3-inch Natasha Henderson. Henderson led the Lady Dawgs with 27 points and was 12 of 24 from the field. The Louisiana native also recorded a team leading six blocks and 22 rebounds.
    “Tasha was the most improved from first scrimmage to second scrimmage,” Fanning said. “The freshman have those tremendous leaps and bounds that you’re going to see simply because they’re learning so much.”
    The significant injuries allowed so many young players to play Saturday, but coach Fanning said that all will be ready to play for the Dawgs’ Friday opener against Houston.
    Junior Tan White pulled a quad muscle and sophomore Doceide Warren pulled a hamstring. Sophomore Blessing Chekwa had back surgery, but she, too, will be prepared to play this weekend.
    “As we get those guys back I think that they are very hungry and excited about being in,” Fanning said. “They will surely make a difference in terms of our experience and communication and the ability that’s on the floor.”
    Junior college transfer Tiania Burns racked up 24 total points and a team leading eight steals. Burns came to Mississippi State after two years at Copiah-Lincoln Community College.
    Senior Jessica Carter led the Lady Dawgs with four three- pointers on 10 attempts. The Arkansas native ended the game with 16 points.
    Fanning stressed that her team still has a way to go before they can perform how she wants them too, but this is a positive start.
    “As long as we can continue to improve, in terms of playing together and pickup our intensity, then some good things will happen to the team,” Fanning said. “We have a long way to go. But I was pleased with their focus. We got better today.”