Skerik brings piano-punk to Bistro

The saxophonist that jammed on tour with Pink Floyd mastermind Roger Waters will be at The International Bistro Nov. 14.
    Skerik’s Syncopated Taint Session will begin their punk-jazz at 10 p.m. following an opening from Starkville’s own Del Rendon from The Puerto Rican Rum Drunks.
    Punk and jazz are different genres, and musicians who are able to combine the two musical styles to create improvisational jam sessions are few and far between. Skerik’s Syncopated Taint Septet can.
    “The Syncopated Taint Session combines jazz, punk and rock to produce an angular sound of its own,” Skerik said. “We represent what is actually going on in the Seattle music scene-friends getting together to make music.”
    The band features Joe Doria on the organ, John Wicks percussion, Steve Moore on trombone and electric piano, Hans Teuber on alto saxophone and flute, Dave Carter tooting the trumpet and Craig Flory on the baritone sax.
    Skerik’s Syncopated Taint Septet got together for a few gigs last summer. The energy and excitement of their live shows convinced the whole band something unusual was happening. The next live performance was recorded to produce the band’s self-titled debut.
    Skerik said he took the name “Syncopated Taint” from a description of jazz music used by Harry J. Anslinger, a late commissioner of the U.S. Bureau of Narcotics. Some say Anslinger demonized drugs and the people who used them. He said jazz music was a means for marijuana use to infiltrate American youth. “Syncopated Taint” was the term he used to define the rhythmic and moral contamination he said jazz music contained.
    Though Skerik’s music is completely instrumental, he said he is mindful of politics and world issues and how they coincide with music.
    “Something that really inspires me is what Charles Mingus used to say-that he wanted his music to make people less submissive,” Skerik said.
    “Smooth jazz is the worst offender for something like that-it’s strictly commercially motivated music that doesn’t make you think and has no nutritional value for your mind or soul. It’s a direct way of creating political apathy,” Skerik said, “There is music that’s relaxing that you can put on after work that’s good for your mind and soul-like Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue, for example.”
    In 1996, Skerik joined R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck, Screaming Trees drummer Barrett Martin and Luna bassist Justin Harwood to form Tuatara-a group that covered many genres and styles of music, including Middle Eastern, Latin and jazz. Tuatara released three albums on Sony Records between 1997 and 2002.
    Skerik is currently in Garage A Trois with Stanton Moore of Galactic on percussion, and Charlie Hunter on the eight-string guitar. In 2002, the band added Mike Dillon from two of Skerik’s other projects, Les Claypoole’s Flying Frog Brigade, and Critters Buggin.
    Friday night will be Skerik’s first visit to Starkville.