Lumpkin posting best career numbers, injury at UK leaves him questionable

There are several great tight ends that have come out of the Jackie Sherrill era at Mississippi State, but seldom were they used as a receiver.
    Offensive coordinator Morris Watts and senior Aaron Lumpkin have changed that this season.
    Lumpkin has 13 catches for 145 yards this season and scored his first two touchdowns of his Bulldog career in MSU’s Homecoming win over Memphis.
    “It feels good; it always feels good to score,” Lumpkin said. “But it’s more important that we won the game than it is for me to score touchdowns.”
    Lumpkin credits his success in the passing game to his teammate Justin Jenkins.
    “It’s easier for me to get the ball because No. 8 is out there,” Lumpkin said. “It’s going to take three or four people to cover Justin Jenkins. If you don’t put a lot of people out there he’s going to kill you. And the more people that get the ball outside of him it makes it harder to guard him.”
    The 6-foot-4-inch, 260-pounder said that his position is evolving, but blocking still remains the primary job for a tight end.
    “A lot of football has changed. Tight ends are changing,” Lumpkin said. “In the past we have not used the tight ends that much, but it’s good that we are using them now. The first and most important part of playing tight end is still blocking.”
    Sherrill said that Lumpkin is best as a blocker, but he has improved to become a complete tight end.
    “He’s probably better at the point of attack than running down field and beating somebody,” Sherrill said. “But he’s worked so hard and really improved himself.”
    Lumpkin is originally from Dayton, Ohio, while senior quarterback Kevin Fant is from Moss Point, Miss. They come from totally separate backgrounds, but they have worked around that and become great friends on and off the field.
    “When we first came in he came from up north and I’m from the Deep South on the coast,” Fant said. “It’s two different worlds. We had to adjust and he seemed to love it and he’s grown to love it.”
    Senior center Blake Jones and Lumpkin came to Mississippi State at the same time. They have spent an unforgettable five years together.
    “I’ve been here for a long time with Lumpkin,” Jones said. “He’s a real good guy. I enjoy being around him.”
    Jones said that Lumpkin deserves to have the ball put in his hands.
    “He’s come a long and he has proven that he can be a threat,” Jones said. “They probably will use him more. It will work out better for Aaron and the offense.”
    That was before Lumpkin suffered a small bone fracture in his right foot against Kentucky.
    The week off helped the recovery process, but Lumpkin did not practice this week.
    The trainer’s said that the coaching staff will decide if Lumpkin plays tomorrow against Alabama.