Holiday Bazaar offers early holiday shopping, fun

With over 100 booths and a wide variety of items for sale, the 31st annual Holiday Bazaar will host a shopping extravaganza Dec. 1-2.
    The event, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board, will occupy all three floors of Colvard Union, bringing vendors and shoppers from across the state.
    “Some vendors are local, but we have vendors from all over the South,” assistant director of The Union Kelly Nesbit said.
    Nesbit said that the vendors will sell a variety of trinkets, offering crafts, jewelry, arts and many other items.
    Jag-21, a local company will operate a booth. They will sell Mississippi State note cards, party invitations, thank-you cards and holiday cards.
    Gail Stuck, the store owner, added that “the cards are under collegiate licenses so that (MSU) gets part of the sales.”
    The company will also have a special offer for shoppers.
    “For every $10 purchase of MSU cards, you will receive a free six-month subscription to the new bulldog sports magazine ‘The Maroon and White,'” Stuck said.
    The event has grown over the last 30 years, Nesbit said. She expects it to be successful this year as well.
    “We usually have a few thousand people come through the bazaar over two days,” Nesbit said.
    “It’s the perfect place for students to go to pick up something for their boyfriend or girlfriend right before the Christmas Holiday,” sophomore Matt Pearson said.
    Money raised by the bazaar will benefit students, Nesbit said. Vendors pay a $40 to $50 charge, depending on the size of their booth, in order to participate.
    The money will be used to “fund campus programs for students,” she said.
    The bazaar will take place in The Union immediately following the university’s Fall Break. The bazaar will be open to the public Monday, Dec. 1 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Dec. 2 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    “We want everyone to come out and get great, reasonably-priced gifts for their friends and families for the holidays,” Nesbit said.