UM student president resigns amid scandal

The University of Mississippi’s former student body President Hardy Case said goodbye to the Associated Student Body last Tuesday after being asked to resign by the ASB Senate.
    According to The Daily Mississippian, UM’s student newspaper, Case had “abused power by spending ASB money on filet mignon and ribeye steaks at one of Oxford’s most expensive restaurants.
    Dustin Todd, ASB senator, provided The Daily Mississippian with nine dining receipts that Case had turned in to the ASB Treasurer’s office.
    The receipts accounted for $443.34 in money spent dining at the university’s Downtown Grill from June 25 to Sept. 16.
    ASB Sen. Chris Wilson said Case has acted unethically in his presidency. According to Wilson, Case’s behavior “takes the Code of Ethics and destroys it.”
    Todd mentioned Case’s behavior during the Texas Tech game Sept. 27. The Daily Mississippian said “Case admitted to flipping over tables at Greenville and Jackson tents in the Grove, damaging a satellite dish in the process.” The newspaper added that Case took responsibility for the incident and said he “gave money for the broken satellite.”
    In addition, several senators said Case has been unproductive in his position as president.
    According to The Daily Mississippian, Case’s resignation was followed by six other Cabinet members resigning. The feelings were widespread that the ASB was not what it should be.
    Former cabinet member Marc Walker said, “It became an ethical dilemma for me to remain a part of an administration that, in essence, is virtually nonexistent.”
    ASB Vice President Alan Bean will replace Case as president. Bean will be inaugurated tonight at 7.
    Neither Case nor Bean could be reached for comment.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT’™2STR
    o”