Student Association sells pizza for charity

Students can donate to United Way and fill their stomachs at the same time through the Student Association’s “Pizza by the Slice” on the Drill Field today and Wednesday.
    The event will be 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. at tables set up in front of the Swalm Chemical Engineering Building and in front of Lee Hall.
    Students can purchase pizza by the slice for $1 or two slices of pizza, a bag of chips and a drink for $3.
    “I’m really excited about the chance to eat pizza for three bucks on the Drill Field,” sophomore Sarah Kindelan said.
    SA Community Service Director Matt Thurmond said three local businesses have contributed to the fund-raiser.
    “Domino’s, Stromboli’s and the Union Subway really came through for us. Stromboli’s gave us 30 large pizzas, Subway gave over 300 bags of chips and Domino’s is giving us large pizzas for $3,” he said.
    SA President Josh Blades said Thurmond deserves all the credit for planning and coordinating “Pizza by the Slice.”
    “This is all Matt Thurmond,” Blades said. “He is an unbelievable worker, a visionary and somebody who will get out there with new ideas and find a way to raise money for United Way and help the community.”
    Earlier in the semester Thurmond helped the SA in raising over $2,300 for the United Way in three days.
    “Giving to the United Way is the most bang for your buck,” Thurmond said. “I have worked with the local Habitat for Humanity and Salvation Army and seen how much they depend on United Way funds.
    “The United Way keeps charities efficient. Rather than all 20 of our best charities fundraising, the United Way makes one big push and gets it done,” he added.
    With over 1,400 local United Ways helping people all over America, Thurmond said that all students have to do to help this event is eat pizza.