Ragweed stops over in Starkville

Fresh from touring with Southern rock legends Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cross Canadian Ragweed will bring their country-influenced brand of rock to Rick’s Caf Thursday.
    Cross Canadian Ragweed has gained fans one show at a time and released four of their own records before label Universal South stepped in and offered the band a deal.
    “Ragweed started out almost nine years ago on the grassroots level, just playing for how ever many people they could get,” said RPR Media representative Brandy Reed.
    Cody Canada, lead guitarist for the band, said things have gotten better since then.
    “Since Universal signed us, it has been a lot easier,” Canada said. “People are finding out about us a lot quicker than what we were doing before.”
    Their most recent album, The Purple Album, has had success on the charts. The first single off the album, “17,” landed the No. 1 spot on the Texas Music Chart and managed to stay there for eight straight weeks.
    Their most recent single, “Constantly” has also been receiving airtime on both Great American Country and Country Music Television.
    Canada said musicians from the Texas/Oklahoma country music scene are supportive of each other.
    At the Country Music Awards, singer Dierks Bently wore a Cross Canadian Ragweed T-shirt during his performance.
    “We’re all in this together. We support the hell out of him and he did the same for us. We all scratch each others back, that is the way it has always been,” Canada said.
    Cross Canadian Ragweed recently put on the The Red River Tribute honoring the late Waylon Jennings. The two-day event was recorded and will soon be put out on a double live CD. “Shooter” Jennings, Waylon’s son, also made an appearance at the festival to express his gratitude for the tribute.
    The band is recording their second album, Soul Gravy, under Universal South. The release date for the album is set for March.
    Tickets will be $5 and the show will start around 10 p.m. For more information on Cross Canadian Ragweed, or to hear their unique style of rock, visit them on the Web at www.crosscanadianragweed.com.