Big Apple fashion, style hits downtown Starkville

Style and stationary merge in dwontown Starkville.

Starkville welcomes a trendy new clothing store to the University Drive family. SoHo has what you want for that night out on the town or a causal outfit to wear to school or work.
    SoHo is connected to the Paper Place, which specializes in invitations, stationery and wedding announcements.
    Owner Allison Conn majored in interior design at Florida State University. Upon graduation she moved home to Columbus, Miss., and decided she wanted to open a unique clothing shop there. In January 2000, she opened the chic store in Columbus. It was such a huge success, she decided to open another here in Starkville. SoHo, Starkville location, opened Feb. 1.
    The name SoHo comes from the artsy district in New York City known for upscale clothing and artwork and its frequent visits from major celebrities.
    “One day I just dropped everything and left for New York to go to market so I could start a shop of my own,” Conn said.
    Now she travels to market in New York and Atlanta four to five times a year to purchase new items and accessories for her store.
    “Interior design and fashion design are so similar I already knew the business aspect of how to run a store, but everything else was new to me,” Conn said.
    SoHo brands include those you have seen in magazines such as BCBG Max Azria, Seven Jeans, ABS, Laundry, Follies and Sharagano. Conn buys pieces two to three times a month. In just a couple of weeks she will have a new line of BCBG shoes.
    Upon entering the store, the clothing looks as if it has just stepped off of the runways of elaborate fashion shows. Each clothing piece is handpicked by Conn, and all the outfits have class and style.
    “It is great to have an upscale clothing store in Starkville with a huge 50 percent off rack,” junior communication major Bonnie Horton said.
    Next time you’re looking for that cute new outfit or those perfect shoes, SoHo just might be the place that’s right up your alley.