Internet-source of fun, laughter

OK. Enough with this serious business. When I’m feeling down and lonely, or particularly lazy or bored (the list goes on), I think to myself, “Joy, there has got to be something you can do to help pop you out of this funk!”
    And you know what? There is. There is something I can do! Well. There are several things I can do, but I’d just like to list a few of my favorites.
    I am fortunate enough to have a computer. I am also blessed and fortunate enough to have Internet access. So, with these powers combined, I am the queen of fun and zany activities.
    One of my new favorite things to do is log onto lifetimetv.com and look up the “Golden Girls” page. This page not only cites the times and days that “The Golden Girls” airs, but it also has a treasury of St. Olaf stories from Betty White’s character, Rose, games, Internet e-cards and a nifty quiz where you can find out which Golden Girl you are (I was Blanche!).
    This page rocks because “The Golden Girls” are old and funny and way cooler than anyone on “Dawson’s Creek.” Moreover, the beauty of this site is that you can learn about Sophia, Dorothy, Rose and Blanche, find out which one you most resemble and then e-mail the results to your friends so that they, too, can join in the fun.
    The next Web site I want to endorse is less gender-specific. It’s called realultimatepower.net, and it’s all about ninjas. The dude who created this page is completely obsessed with ninjas. Completely. The site includes movie scripts, a funny hate-mail section, random information and a ton of really funny things. Even though the site marginally fictionalizes the true ninja lifestyle, it helps to remind all of us that ninjas are a force to be reckoned with, and that they rule.
    I can’t explain this Web site more clearly because it is so funny and awesome in person. My favorite thing to do is to look up the Web site when I’m at the computer lab surrounded by a lot of people. I open up the page and start reading. Because the stuff this guy writes is so funny, I invariably begin laughing, and people look at me and think that I’m weird for being entertained by the Internet. Why stare at the computer with an angry I-need-information face when you can interact with your computer and enjoy some good, healthy laughs?
    Finally, I want to remind you all of a Web site that I’m sure you’ve heard of. That’s right-theonion.com. The Onion is an online newspaper that satirizes everything. That’s a pretty general statement, but it’s true. The articles included in this paper are really funny. They have headlines, opinions, news briefs, funny lists and stats, personal ads and a bunch of other things.
    The Onion satirizes famous people-musicians, movie stars and political figures-as well as regular, everyday idiots. This Web site’s beauty lies in its ability to remind us that we need to relax and let things be funny once in a while. Although the content is sarcastic and unconventional, I think that everyone can find something to laugh at, enjoy or identify with.
    So, even though I’ve revealed my true identity as an Internet dork, I’m happy to have shared this information regarding the aforementioned Web sites. Look them up-take some quizzes, read some movie scenes (they’re very short) and laugh at some articles. Don’t sit around moping about your “problems” and your “homework”-laugh all your worries away.
    Joy Murphy is a senior English major.