SA brings Hall of Fame back to MSU

The Mississippi State University Student Association will soon bring a new Hall of Fame to MSU, one that honors eight to 10 seniors who have accomplished the most for the university.
    The Hall of Fame, which was discontinued 10 years ago due to lack of funding, has returned to MSU. Applications were released Monday and are currently available in the Student Association office.
    “There are so many students here who give a lot to MSU and aren’t recognized for what they do,” SA Secretary Kelly Kirk said. “The choices [for the Hall of Fame] won’t be made strictly on the number of activities students are involved in, but rather the impact they have had on campus.”
    Applicants must have a senior standing and need to have spent the last three semesters at MSU. They must also have a 3.0 GPA and one letter of recommendation from an MSU faculty or staff member. The application will consist of questions about extra-curricular activities, organizations students have been involved in, honors and awards and leadership positions they hold or have held. The application will also allow the student to write, in 100 words or less, why they should be named to the MSU Hall of Fame. Students may only receive this honor once. Applications will be due in the SA office March 3 at 5 p.m.
    The final selections will be determined by a faculty selection committee, which will include faculty and staff from a variety of MSU departments, including the divisions of Housing and Student Affairs and the colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business and Industry, Engineering and Education.
    Patti Reiss, executive assistant to the SA, assists in assembling the selection committee.
    “Our faculty have been very cooperative in our venture to honor our MSU seniors who embody the maroon and white spirit,” Reiss said.
    MSU Director of Student Life Edwin Keith said he looks forward to the Hall of Fame being reinstated.
    “It’s something a lot of institutions try to do to recognize those students who do the most for their universities,” Keith said. “If the students think it’s a good idea, I fully support it.”