International Voice: Similarities in three prominent religions

Religion is one of the driving forces behind many of the events and attitudes that have shaped our world. Throughout the centuries, laws have been enacted, cities and countries have been created and destroyed and wars have been fought, all to promulgate or protect one religion or another.
    Muslims throughout the world gather today to offer the sacrifice of an animal, to commemorate the great sacrifice offered by the prophet Abraham of his son Ishmael, thousands of years ago. I take this opportunity to present a fact that relates the three great monotheistic Abrahamic religions of the world, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
    Abraham is highly revered in all three religions, and adherents of these religions trace their lineage to him. He established the original foundation of these religions by combatting idolatry and thus raising the standard of monotheism.
    According to the Jewish scriptures, Abraham was the father of Isaac, who was born to his wife Sarah, so Abraham is believed to be the father of Jewish people.
    According to the Catholic Encyclopedia Volume 1, in the New Testament, the genealogy of Jesus Christ is traced back to Abraham by St. Matthew.
    According to Islam, Abraham, through his elder son Ishmael (born to Hajar) is believed to be the ancestor of Muhammad (prophet of Islam).
    All three religions are deeply rooted in the fabric of monotheism. It is this tradition that serves as the backbone for each religion. The covenant established by the patriarch Abraham serves as the common link between three world religions.
    A proper understanding of the origin of monotheistic belief enables one to clearly understand to what extent Judaism, Christianity and Islam can be considered as part of similar religious and spiritual traditions: traditions that date back to the time of Abraham.
    Makes me wonder; are we so different?
    Nabeel Ahmed is a graduate student in Science Information Systems.