Lee accepts responsibilities, challenges

It’s about 7:15 a.m. and Mississippi State University President Charles Lee strolls into his office, ready to face the his rigorous schedule.
    Whether a business breakfast or lunch, discussing university affairs with vice presidents or attending Bulldog athletics with his wife Pat, Lee’s day never seems finished. Each bustling hour fills itself with appointments and phone calls; but, despite these particularities, he manages to maintain the warm and personable style for which he is accredited.
    Lee served as MSU’s interim president for over one year, and as of Jan. 16, accepted his responsibilities as the university’s president. The Board’s unanimous decision marks the exemplary leadership and integrity that Lee has already displayed during his time at Mississippi State.
    With visions to brighten the University’s future, he hopes to accomplish great feats through his position.
    “As President I would like to work with students, faculty and staff to move the university to the next level in meeting the needs of students, in generating new knowledge through research, and in extending the strengths of the campus out to the people of our state through extension and outreach. I hope we can do that in a manner that yields us distinction as one of the nation’s best universities,” Lee said.
    Lee first declined the offer to become the 17th president of MSU. While intending to leave once a replacement was found, Lee said that he changed his mind about the presidency “because of the tremendous response Pat and I have had in the interim role and because the legislative leadership told me that we would not have to take another budget cut this year.”
    A native of North Carolina, Lee graduated from North Carolina State University. He graduated with a bachelor of science degree in Forest Management in 1964, and did graduate work at Duke University the same year.
    In 1972, he finished his doctorate in Forestry Genetics at NCSU. Valuing education highly, Lee said that the best advice he ever received was to go to college.
    Before coming to MSU in 1999, Lee served as Vice Chancellor of the 10-campus Texas A & M System. Originally, Lee came to MSU as the Vice President of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine. By the following year, he was appointed to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
    “I admire character, integrity, one’s commitment to making things better and consideration for others,” Lee said. “My goals in life have been to treat others with respect, to be honest and to be committed to whatever I was doing at a particular time,” Lee said.
    Because of his dedication to hard work, Lee has received many awards for his efforts over the years. These awards include honors such as: distinguished service citations from the Texas A&M Regents, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the U.S. Forest Service, as well as a distinguished service award from the College of Medicine at Texas A & M University.
    Upon accepting the presidential position of the University, Lee sought advice from his predecessors and others in his position. He explained that there is much insight to gain from those with experience, saying, “Who should better understand an issue than those who have already dealt with them?”
    And even in the midst of university demands, Lee still values his family as most important in his life. He and his wife, Pat, have three children and three grandchildren.
    “The most difficult thing for me is not having more time with our students and with my children and grandchildren,” said Lee. He said he desires not only to be involved with his family, but also with the students for which he is responsible.
    Lee makes many appearances on campus in order to keep good communication with the students and community.
    “I try to speak whenever asked because I think it is important to keep the campus community informed and to share the good things that are happening here with as many people as possible,” Lee said.
    Whether in meetings or speaking on campus, President Lee carries with him the integrity, respect and hard work for which he now holds office.