Super Bulldog Weekend hits MSU

A variety of events have been scheduled for the upcoming Super Bulldog Weekend which runs from April 10-13. Some of the highlights are included below.
    On Saturday, April 12, Representative Chip Pickering plans to visit the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ annual Spring Breakfast, which begins at 8 a.m.
    However, acccording to Brian Perry, Pickering’s Communication Director, he might not be able to come to the breakfast.
    “It turns out that Congressman Pickering might not be able to make it to the breakfast,” Perry wrote to The Reflector in an e-mail. “If he isn’t there it is because the fiscal year 2004 budget is still in the conference committee, and he will have to remain here to vote on Saturday,” he added.
    Perry did say that Pickering hopes to still be able to attend.E
    Reinschmiedt described the breakfast as a semi-annual event. (Another breakfast is held in the fall around homecoming.) The breakfast is used as a chance for the alumni of Mississippi State University to reunite.
    “The event is a typical social gathering with a brief program,” he said.
    MSU President Charles Lee, among others, is expected to speak at the occasion.
    The Spring Football Game is set to kick off Saturday, April 12, at noon on Scott Field at the Davis Wade Stadium. The MSU Ticket Office said tickets will go on sale at 10:30 a.m. that same day. Tickets are $5 for the public and free for MSU students with their student ID’s. Junior Bulldog Club members get in free with their ID’s also.
    Athletic Director Michael Nemeth said the Spring Football Game is an honored tradition here at MSU.
    “It’s a tradition that goes way past Super Bulldog Weekend,” Nemeth said.
    Also in sports this weekend, the MSU Bulldogs are set to face the Auburn Tigers starting Friday, April 11, at 6:30 pm on Dudy Noble Field. They will also play Saturday at 3:00 pm and Sunday at 1:30 p.m.
    Head Coach Ron Polk said the games will be challenge for both teams.
    “Auburn is very highly ranked like we are, so these are going to be challenging games,” said Polk. “This is a big weekend, and we encourage everyone to come out and enjoy this weekend’s events.”
    For fans of the arts, Theatre MSU has put together a theatre production of Terrence McNally’s comedy “It’s Only a Play.” The play, which was first performed Thursday, has been scheduled for Friday, April 11, and Saturday, April 12, at 7:30 p.m. as well.
    Jo Durst, a communication professor and director of the play, said “It’s a fantastic play, and great family entertainment.”
    Tickets for the play are $10 for the general public and $5 for MSU faculty, staff and students, as well as for children and seniors.
    Also in honor of Super Bulldog Weekend, transportation will be available for fans on Friday and Saturday, April 11 and 12, between downtown Starkville and MSU’s campus. A van with handicap access will leave the Oktibbeha County Courthouse corner on the hour and return to the Humphrey Coliseum on the half hour between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Friday and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday.
    Those wishing to ride the van can park in the Downtown parking lot off N. Lafayette St., and riders may flag the van at any street corner along Main Street and University Drive.
    The van is an investment of the Golden Triangle Planning and Development District, Area Agency on Aging, the city of Starkville and United Way of North Central Mississippi. Its primary purpose is to provide transportation for handicapped and elderly individuals. Donations will be accepted in order to help with the costs of the program.