Jazz Fest hits New Orleans

Jazz Fest hits New Orleans
    Kit Wallace, The Reflector
    Jazz Fest, one of the South’s biggest annual music festivals, will begin in New Orleans April 24 and go through May 4.
    Every Spring, Jazz Fest caters to a wide variety of musical taste. In the past they have had names as big as the Dave Matthews Band and Mystikal.
    This year Bob Dylan and Lucinda Williams will headline the festival along with other big names like Widespread Panic, The Allman Brothers Band, and India Arie.
    Hundreds of bands will play throughout New Orleans for Jazz Fest. Some of the main attractions will include:
    Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe
    Hip-Hop, jazz, soul and rock ‘n’ roll is what Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe attributes to the world of music. For five years this band has been on the road performing in almost every state, and this year they will be at Jazz Fest.
    The smell of incence floats in the air and colorful tapestries are hung about to make the stage unique from other artists.
    Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe formed shortly after the break-up of The Gray Boy All-Stars.
    “We all wanted to do something different so I started my own band and I liked it,” said Denson.
    The fifth of six children, Denson always got the hand- me- downs. Denson said this is what inspired him to be a musician. His older brothers were involved with music, and they had good taste in what they played or listened to.
    “My brothers motivated me to become a musician, it is because of them who I am now,” said Denson.
    Recently Denson and the Tiny Universe played at Madison Square
    Garden in New York City. Performing with them were no other than the Dave Matthews
    Band and James Brown.
    “Getting the chance to perform with both of those talented artist definitely has to be a highlight in my musical career,” said Denson.
    When asked about Jazz Fest, Denson acted intrigued.
    “This is a time when you get to see your other friends (the bands) out there. Nine times out of ten we are all working so we do not get to see one another. All the bands go all out at this festival because we are all there performing for not only our fans but the other bands,” said Denson.
    For their new album the band plans to mix up their music. As for a title name, it is still up in the air.
    They’ll be performing the night away at Tipitina’s Uptown Sunrise Show April 25, 26, and May 2 and 3.
    moe.
    Moe. will take center stage at Jazz Fest and perform a show that fans have come to expect from the jam band.
    They will be playing at the Orpheum Theatre May 2.
    Moe. formed in 1991 after the guys met while in college in up state New York. Moe. is known for their whizzing song writing abilities and the intense—- sometimes all night or all day—- performances.
    “Our songs are who we are and they represent us. I personally do not have a favorite song we play.”
    The old Louis Jordan song ,”Five guys named Moe,” is how the name was originated. Today five members make up moe.; Al Schnier, guitar/vocals; Rob Derhak, bass/vocals; Chuck Garvey, guitar/vocals; Vinnie Amico, drums; and Jim Loughlin, percussion/acoustic guitar.
    They said the highlights of their career are times when Moe. is introduced and has the chance to play with famous idols.
    “Further Festival we performed with Bob Weir and Mickey Hart from the Grateful Dead.”
    For more information about the band visit their Web site at www.moe.org.
    Particle
    High energy dance-funk with an organic/electronic over tone describes Particle’s music.
    Particles funky grooves will be celebrated at Jazz Fest– but that’s not all. They remarkable energy level will take them to perform an amazing three shows in 24 hours.
    Particle is back from Japan and ready to pump up the volume. Thursday, May 1, the Particle will sink the boat and rock the waters in the New Orleans area. Georgia bound they will bring energy to the crowd at Midtown Music Festival in Atlanta. Then it’s back to the Big Easy May 3, to start the party again at the Orpheum Theatre. They’ll hit the Howlin’ Wolf for a breakfast show starting around 3 a.m.
    Gov’t Mule
    Combining rock, blues, jazz, soul and folk all together to make a unique soup is what Gov’t Mule and their music are.
    Gov’t Mule was formed in 1994 and began touring in 1995. When Allen Woody died, Gov’t Mule lost a long time friend and remarkable bass player. But nothing was to come in the way to stop this multi-talented jam band.
    “New Orleans is a melting pot for music and is such a big part of the musical heritage,” said Warren Haynes.
    If you want good food, music and entertainment this jazz city is the place to go.
    Gov’t Mule will excite the crowd with their raging talent and produce music that is hard to come by anywhere.
    “When we do not play this song the crowd seems disappointed, but at the same time we want to vary our set-list from night to night,” said Haynes.
    Before Gov’t Mule was established Haynes joined up with the Allman Brothers Band in 1989. He has played with the best of musicicians and his passion for music began at the age 7 when he began singing. Teaching himself at12, he lurked on learning more about the guitar. His first music love was black gospel and branched out to such artist; The Temptations, Four Tops, and James Brown.
    Haynes highlight of his music career he believes is still to come but feels he has been extremely fortunate so far.
    Gov’t Mule will perform at Saenger Theatre May 3.