MSU students awarded Goldwater Scholarship

Three Mississippi State students are a part of 300 students nationwide to receive one of the most prestigious scholarships available to undergraduates, the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship.
    Erin Bassford, a senior biochemistry major from Germantown, Tenn.; Alan Boyle, a senior biochemistry and computer science major from Starkville; and Angela Spence, a junior aerospace engineering and physics major from Brandon will receive an annual stipend of $7,500 for one to two years, depending on their graduation dates.
    Bassford currently researches enzyme accumulation in corn after caterpillars eat and destroy the plant. MSU biochemistry professor Dawn Luthe directs Bassford’s project.
    Luthe praised Bassford, saying, “She’s very energetic and smart. No matter what career she chooses, the skills she uses in research will be useful.”
    Bassford hopes to either obtain a doctorate in molecular biology or attend medical school.
    “I want to use molecular biology as a tool to combat disease,” said Bassford.
    Spence is participating in a co-op at NASA’s Langley Research Center. Her research at Langley involves using computational fluid dynamics to obtain stability and control derivatives on fighter aircraft. She will also begin working on a Mars aircraft concept in May.
    At MSU, Spence conducts research under aerospace engineering professor Keith Koenig.
    “The Goldwater is going to be very helpful when I apply for graduate school,” said Spence. “I hope to study aeronautics with a possible emphasis in fluid dynamics.”
    Boyle combines his knowledge of computer and biology to conduct research in bioinformatics. His current project involves searching for alignment patterns in promoter regions of DNA. His mentors are computer science professor Susan Bridges and biochemistry professor John Boyle.
    Bridges said: “It (The Goldwater Scholarship) is a great honor. It will allow (Boyle) to be even more competitive for a high-profile graduate program.”
    The Goldwater scholarship is named for former Arizona senator and presidential candidate Barry M. Goldwater. Its objective is to encourage research in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering.
    Applicants must be nominated by their respective schools, and submit several essays detailing career goals and previous research experiences.
    MSU led all Mississippi universities in Goldwater scholarships this year, garnering three out of four scholarships awarded.
    MSU is also one of a select few institutions to have all of its nominees receive the scholarship.