Softball seniors share tricks of the trade

Brooke Best turns two.

Courtney Frank
    5-9 * SR * RHP
    Courtney Frank has had a huge impact on the Lady Bulldog softball team, despite only pitching for two seasons.
    As a freshman in 2000, Frank compiled a 2.74 ERA in 27 appearances. Pitching a total of 84 innings, Frank recorded seven wins, four complete games, and three saves.
    Frank is from Kentwood, Wash., near Seattle, where she was named a Seattle Times Star of the Week during high school. She also set a new record in Washington state for single game strikeouts with 15 in a game during her junior year.
    This season, Frank has posted a 3.25 ERA in 88.1 innings. She is 5-6 on the year, notching six complete games and picking up two saves.
    Frank made the Dean’s List last fall by earning a 3.68 GPA.
    The Reflector: What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment at MSU?
    Courtney Frank: My greatest accomplishment would be coming back to play for my senior season. I couldn’t have done it without all the positive support from my parents, the coaching staff and the girls on the team.
    R: What is your favorite memory from your time on the team?
    CF: My favorite memory was beating Alabama at Alabama the last game in the series. Coach got me, Melissa Massey, and Jen Nelson together before the game and asked who wanted the ball most-who could get a win? He wanted someone to step up and be a leader, and I felt that I could do it that day so I took the ball. We won the game and I felt like it was my best personal performance on the mound.
    R: What the most fun road trip you’ve been on?
    CF: The most fun road trip was going to Seattle, my red-shirt-freshman season when we got a bid for NCAA regionals. I got the chance to play in front of my entire family, my high school and summer coaches, and friends-it was unbelievable! I never imagined I would have the opportunity to play in my home town wearing Maroon and White.
    R: How do you want to be remembered for your time on the team?
    CF: I would really like to be remembered as a positive and fun person. I want the girls to think of me as a team player and a good friend.
    R: What will you miss most about Bulldog softball?
    CF: There are so many things … the friendships and the support from the fans, the families of the girls, the team itself-(the coaches, managers, trainers, and girls), and Coach Akins-he has always been there for me and I will miss him so much. Being a part of this team has contributed to so many smiles and good memories.
    R: What words of wisdom or final thoughts would you like to leave to your remaining teammates?
    CF: I want to thank them for accepting me on the team once again. Remember to not take your time here for granted. Everyone of you plays an important role on this team, and by doing your job you can make great things happen. Every day you take part in softball, find where you began to love the sport, the competitiveness-get better, give your all, and make the person you were when you started proud of who you have become today.
    R: Tell me your most deadly pitch, and the technique you use to pitch it.
    CF: For me, it is not the pitch that I throw that makes it effective, but the location. I favor my drop ball and like to throw my change-up a lot. I like to surprise hitters with the change-up. Depending on where the batter is set up, I use the drop where where they least like it, or expect it. I talk to myself when I am throwing using all positives – keep the ball low, snap my wrist hard, keep my motion fluid, etc. I feel that when I am visualizing and using positive affirmations, I have the most success with each pitch.
    Brooke Best
    5-4 * SR * INF
    Brooke Best is has been a major factor in the Bulldogs’ defense for four years, posting a .939 fielding percentage in her first three seasons in Maroon and White. As a second baseman, Best has started 151 games for the Bulldogs, and has amassed 57 RBI’s during that stretch.
    Best is from Ooltewah, Tenn., and is majoring in teaching and coaching with plans to coach softball once she graduates. Best describes the MSU softball team as a family. “The team is real close and we hang out a lot together. On road trips we’re always doing something.”
    This season, Best has had her finest year at the plate, batting .256 with four home runs. Best has remained a stable force on defense, committing only four errors all season, and compiling a .975 fielding percentage.
    R: What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment at MSU?
    BB: My greatest accomplishment is playing at MSU all four years and graduating in five, because every girl from my hometown that played somewhere transfered after two years so a lot of people thought i would also.
    BB: Beating # 1 Arizona last year.
    BB: I would have to say the Arizona State tourney last year. We had the best time and of course everything is great when you are winning.
    BB: As an outgoing people person with a passion for the game. Someone who would do anything for my teammates. Most importantly a person who loves The Lord!
    R: What will you miss most about Bulldog Softball?
    BB: The team, trips, competition, flat out just playin’.
    R: What words of wisdom or inspiration do you have to leave behind for the returning softball players? I love y’all and thanks so much for the great memories. Always remember to give everything you have because it will all be over one day. Most importantly always remember who you’re playing for, God! Love ya and good luck in the future!!
    R: Describe the technique behind turning a double play.
    BB: The way I turn a double play and this is for rightys is:
    1. Getting to the bag as quick as possible.
    2. When I get to the bag, I put my left foot on the side of
    the bag facing right field.
    3. When I receive the ball, I put my hands out and reach for the ball.
    4. After catching the ball I take a step back with my right foot and also transfer the ball from the glove hand to my throwing hand all at the same time and as fast as possible.
    5. I have all my weight on my right foot. Then I just push off my right foot and throw the ball as hard as I can to first.
    Jennifer Nelson
    5-9 * SR * OF/RHP
    Jennifer Nelson has had a remarkable career here at Mississippi State. As a pitcher and outfielder, Nelson has started 183 games during her four years here in Starkville, tallying 166 career hits.
    Nelson was born in California, but comes to MSU from Weatherford High School in Weatherford, Texas. She claims the girls on the team are the reason she chose the Maroon and White. “(I chose Mississippi State) mainly (because of) the other girls on the team, because the whole team is together and everyone is so much fun. That is what I wanted to be around and be a part of.”
    In this, her senior season, Jennifer has exploded at the plate. She is batting .341, the third highest on the team, and recently ended a career-high 20-game hit streak. She also leads the team in fewest strikeouts with 15, and has stolen 10 of her 12 attempted bases.
    While remaining dangerous at the plate, Jennifer has also continued her excellence on the mound. She has posted a 3.69 ERA in 16 appearances this season, striking out 26. In her final home game, Jennifer went out on a good note, going 3-4 in a loss to UAB on Tuesday night.
    Jennifer Nelson: My greatest accomplishment at msu has to be hitting a home run. I never
    thought I would do it, and it was so exciting when it happened. It just goes to show what you can do when the odds are stacked against you because I remember
    when I struggled to just hit it out of the infield. It was amazing to see it actually go over the fence.
    JN: My favorite moment at MSU has to be on a road trip when me and some other girls, not to name any names, played a prank on our old coaches. It felt like we were secret agents.
    JN: With this team, we have had a lot of fun road trips, but the most fun trip had to be the one when we played a bunch of pranks on everyone.
    JN: I want to be remembered for my easy going attitude and my loyalty to my teammates. I think people should always be laid back and enjoy life and I believe that is what I did, for the most part. Also, you need to learn to be
    loyal to your friends, because the older you get the less friends you have and you need to cherish the ones you do have.
    JN: I will miss the girls the most. The friendships I made here are
    irreplaceable and it is sad that it is all over. I also made some great bonds with some of the girls, and i only hope that we will stay in touch once we have all moved away.
    JN: Enjoy the time you have here. It goes by so fast that if you don’t stop to enjoy yourself, you will wonder where it all went. Also, don’t get to down on yourself because life is more than just softball, even though at times it does
    not seem like that. Also, don’t let anyone tell you what you can’t do because you know your ability and you know who you are and that is all that matters. You can move mountains if you have faith in yourself.
    R: Decribe the technique behind your moving slap hit at the plate
    JN: There isn’t much technique to the slap. You just look to see where the defense is playing you and you hit it where they aren’t. or you hit it where even if they do get it, they won’t be able to throw you out. Mainly it isabout hit placement and then just run as fast as you can and hope to be safe.