‘Real World’ veterans Colin, Puck visit MSU

Bulldogs will have the chance to “get real” Wednesday night when two former members of MTV’s “The Real World” host a discussion in the Union Ballroom.
    David “Puck” Rainey of “The Real World: San Francisco” and Colin Mortenson of “The Real World: Hawaii” will begin the discussion at 8 p.m.
    “We aren’t going to sit there and lecture. I like it when the students ask us questions and go from there,” Rainey said.
    Cast members from “The Real World” often travel to colleges and universities to speak. Although “Real World” cast members have been known to quarrel, Rainey and Mortenson said they will not be fighting. Instead they plan on making sure everyone has a great time.
    “There is no drama here. We left all that with the girl’s in Jamaica,” Rainey said referring to the MTV show “Battle of the Sexes.” “The student body is always excited when we come to schools and the board who gets us there is freaking out. When we leave it’s been so informative and everyone has had a great time.”
    Rainey was last seen weilding a machete on “Battle of the Sexes.”
    “That was the biggest load of crap! Bunim and Murray love making me look like an ass. I just broke the guitar; Jaime from New Orleans started hacking things with the machete,” Rainey said.
    Rainey has also been in commercials, a movie called “Dream for an Insomniac” and a tour appropriately titled “Puck for the Ladies.” He also recently showed off his house on MTV’s “Cribs.” Rainey said since “Cribs” aired they now have flowers springing up all around the house. He credits himself as being a great landscaper and chef.
    “My mom helped me out with gardening. If you looked at my house you think I paid a ton to have it done, but I did it myself,” Rainey said.
    He emphasizes that anyone can do anything they want to; they just have to learn and work hard.
    “I am the perfect example. I have a ninth grade education and look at everything I have in my life.”
    Unlike Rainey, Mortenson made it through high school, but said he has “successfully” dropped out of college three times. After “The Real World: Hawaii” he disappeared from the public spotlight. Mortenson was recently cast in the short-lived NBC show MYOB.
    Mortenson also helped out with book signings for the “Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul” series. After watching young guys standing around waiting for their girlfriends to get their books signed, Mortenson decided he wanted to write a book that would speak to those guys.
    “It was like a light bulb went off in my head. I sat down and wrote about all the things I wished someone would have told me when I was their age or what I wish I would have known,” Mortenson said.
    “A New Ladies’ Man” was released last February and talks about how girls should be treated instead of the old stereotype of the “ladies’ man.” He said that even girls will love his book because it is an honest look at the two sexes, relationships and it will keep readers laughing.
    “I will talk very in-depth about my book, even on sexual topics.
    Some people may think it is too much, but everyone should get a kick out of it. It is the complete truth and when you read it you will agree.”
    The session featuring Rainey and Mortenson is free of charge and the cast members said those attending should not look for anything PG-13. Unlike many shows in the current reality trend, this session will be real. For more information on Mortenson and “A New Ladies’ Man”, visit his Web site at www.colinsworld.com.