Coffee shops serve as alternative

In the ’70s MSU students were hanging out in The Union, in the ’80s and ’90s they spent time at the bars, but now students are choosing coffee shops over them all.
    “Coffee shops are definitely the trend these days,” Regina Beasley, manager of Starkville’s Big Daddy’s Coffee House, said.
    Starbucks Coffee will agree, now that they have built over 6,000 Starbucks coffee shops around the globe.
    “The trend has obviously been going on nationally for a while–Starkville is just now catching up,” LJ’s owner Al Comm said.
    LJ’s is only one of three coffee shops that have recently opened in Starkville. Big Daddy’s is another and the newest local coffee shop, the Dawg House, opened in the Colvard Student Union in January.
    “Coffee shops are an alternative to the bars and night spots where alcohol is served,” Comm said.
    He added that more and more kids are looking for a place to socialize without the smokey atmosphere and loud music. Some students come to play games and eat dessert, while others spend the afternoon drinking coffee and studying.
    In the ’70s young people were doing the same things, but doing it in the Colvard Student Union.
    “Everyone would meet up with their friends in certain places in the Union and get a bite to eat at the grill,” MSU alumni Frances McDavid said. “It was a really good gathering spot and it stayed open until 9 or 10 at night.”
    McDavid said one reason why things have probably changed is because more students are living off campus and have their own vehicles.
    Comm said that LJ’s, which is on Highway 12 near Wal-Mart, draws a crowd because their customers have other reasons to be on Highway 12. He said those headed to work stop by and have a cup of coffee and students often get something to eat or drink there when going to or from Wal-Mart.
    Off-campus coffee shops are not the only ones enjoying success. The State Fountain and Dawg House alike stay busy serving up Starbucks coffee and cheesecake. State Fountain manager Roy Goss said he thinks coffee shops are here to stay but Starkville can only support so many. The Fountain, also known as “The Bakery,” has been on campus since 1936. Goss said so many customers were requesting Starbucks coffee in the last year or two that they decided to serve it in the State Fountain. It is one of the biggest selling items they have now, along with MSU cheese and MSU ice cream.
    “It’s so accessible for students and faculty, or whoever is on campus, to stop in and get whatever they would like at the Fountain,” Goss said. “Students stick around in between classes, too.”
    “The Dawg House, on the other hand, attracts a different kind of crowd,” says Dawg House assistant Maranda Hill.
    “We have big screen televisions and games to rent out for those who are looking for coffee and entertainment,” Hill said.
    Hill said the Dawg House allows customers to come in, eat a snack and play video games on the big screen televisions.
    The Dawg House offers an assortment of coffee drinks, candy, chips, pastries and cheesecakes. Hill said it tries to offer more than the standard coffee and cookie.
    “We have enough coffee shops in Starkville–but we hope people will pick up on the trend and spend some more time drinking coffee and socializing in coffee shops like ours,” Hill said.