Fraternity returns with improvement plans

After being suspended as an officially recognized Mississippi State University organization, Phi Delta Theta fraternity is back on campus and working to right a wrong. The group was brought before a judiciary board Nov. 19 over an incident that occurred Nov. 1. During the incident, three fraternity members and three MSU women were engaged in drinking alcohol in a bedroom in the fraternity’s house on Sorority Row.
    One female was admitted and released from Oktibbeha County Hospital that evening, and a second woman was admitted and released from the student health center the following morning. Information on the health care each women received was unavailable.
    Dean of Students Mike White was notified of the Nov. 1 incident by one woman’s father. White then charged the fraternity with violating the MSU alcohol policy on Nov. 12. The judicial board suspended the fraternity in the Nov. 19 proceeding acknowledging that the group would be able to petition for readmittance as a recognized group at the beginning of this semester.
    Phi Delta Theta fraternity members met and discussed what they were going to have to do to right the wrong in order to return to MSU. Executive officers brought ideas of reformation to the Jan. 3 judicial hearing that led to the group’s return to MSU. The fraternity also held an internal judicial board that heard the case and expelled the three members involved.
    “They (Phi Delta Theta) have some really good officers who will deal with this very appropriately,” assistant dean of students Thomas Bourgeois said.
    Bourgeois said the Jan. 3 judicial board, which consisted of himself, White, director of student life Edwin Keith and assistant director of student life Heidie Lindsey, was impressed with the group’s petition and its persistence to make the situation a “learning experience.”
    Phi Delta Theta President Matthew Harrison said that although the situation was not one he would have chosen, the incident is making the fraternity grow closer and stronger.
    “We are looking at this matter from a world perspective and not a college student or fraternity member point of view,” Harrison said.
    “This incident has really put an aura of responsibility over everyone’s head,” , fraternity vice president Will Sanders said. “It is unfortunate this happened, but we are remembering to do our best and move on.”
    After hearing the fraternity representatives speak to the board, the board met and decided
    to allow the members to move back into the fraternity house, resume fraternity functions and suspend social activity until a Jan. 3, 2003 appearance before the board. At that time, Bourgeois said the group will be able to petition for full status, which could include the return of social activities.
    “It’s really good to know that they (the judicial board) knows we are willing to work,” Harrison said. “I hope this incident will be a positive learning experience for Phi Delta Theta and all greek members.”
    Harrison and Sanders said the incident has brought some positive light to the fraternity.
    “The alumni were very supportive and still are,” Harrison said.
    Although the fraternity will not be able to mix socially during the next year, Bourgeois said the group is encouraged to exceed the judicial board’s required 60 hours of public service, that must not be combined with any other required service hours over the next year.
    “I want to see us get together and grow especially in philanthropy,” Sanders said.