Crecent City gets taste of Japan

Imagine the sun setting over a Japanese ocean turning the sky into an unimaginable yellow. The ocean waves will not let up as they crash into a rock island called Mount Horai. There, above the rock, two birds fly away into the mist and clouds of the ink and color silk masterpiece by artist Suzuki Kiitsu from the Edo period of Japanese history. During this time in Japan’s history (1615-1868), the Western world ignored the Japanese culture. Behind Japan’s ocean of fortitude from the rest of the world, a rich culture thrived and more schools of painting were active than in any other time in Japanese history. From abstract mountain landscapes to elegant portraits of highly and lowly dressed women with very bold calligraphy and detailed depictions of plants and animals, the Edo period collected an amazing supply of artwork.
    Now at the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA), an exciting private collection owned by New Orleans natives Dr. Kurt A. Gitter and Alice Rae Yelen called Enduring Vision, will be on exhibit from Aug. 31 to Oct. 26. The exhibit will consist of approximately 150 paintings and there will be a show giving in-depth information on the painting styles, the master artists and their students during the Edo period.
    “The exhibition illuminates one of the richest periods of Japanese history,” Lisa Rotondo McCord, NOMA’s Curator of Asian Art, said. “Many visitors may be surprised at the broad range of subjects and painting styles on view. Visitors will see bold, decorative works rendered in bright colors with intricate details as well as more abstract images composed of refined lines and subtle colors.”
    The Gitter-Yelen collection consists of paintings from major schools of the 17th century to the early 20th century. The collection features styles such as zenga, nanga, Rinpa, Maryiamo-Shijo and paintings by the Edo period’s most popular artists such as Yosa Buson, Ike Taiga, Sakai Hoitsu, Matsumura Goshun and Hakium Ekaku. The followers of several of these master artists have produced some important art that will be on display. Modern day masters such as Nantembo Tojo, Kamisaka Sekka and Fekunda Kodajin are featured in the exhibition. Their art shows the connections between 20th century Japanese art and the Edo period art styles.
    The selections reflect the view of Dr. Tadeshi Kohanushi, an eminent Edo-period art historian and the exhibition’s lead curator who, over the course of several visits to New Orleans, chose the paintings to be presented. The major figure in zenga is Hakuin Ekaku (1685-1760). The Gitter-Yelen collection has a number of his works in their collection. In Giant Daruma, Ekaku depicts the founder of Zen, the sixth century Buddist monk.
    NOMA has set up many events for the duration of Enduring Visions stay before it moves on to Seattle and then New York. On Sept. 22 from noon to 3 p.m. the whole family can come to NOMA to view the exhibition and watch the calligraphers demonstrate their craft. There will be a family workshop from 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
    Also, NOMA and the city park will host the Japan Louisiana Autumn Festival Oct. 12-13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The festival will include the Enduring Vision exhibit as well as music and dancing with displays and demonstrations. Japanese street performers will parade and play traditional Japanese instruments. Also included are cultural workshops for adults and children that will focus on traditions of Japan.
    Every Sunday at 3 p.m., lectures on the permanent and traveling exhibitions will take place. Lunchtime lectures discussing the history of art will take place on Oct. 10, 17 and 24; these hour-long sessions will present each style in detail. From Sept. 8 through Oct. 12 the curator will conduct tours of NOMA. For more information call NOMA at (504) 483-2659. or log on to www.noma.org.