Holtz’s Gamecocks have big shoes to fill in 2002 season

The University of South Carolina Gamecocks are coming off their best two-year stretch in their history after going 17-7 over that span. But the Gamecocks have plenty of holes to fill from last year’s Outback Bowl Champion squad. On offense, USC returns only five starters from last year, but the Gamecocks leading rusher, Andrew Pinnock, will return for his senior season. USC also returns their biggest playmaker from last season, running back Ryan Brewer.
    The Gamecocks also return three all-SEC candidates on the offensive line in Shane Hall, Cedric Williams and Travelle Wharton.
    “Andrew (Pinnock) has proven he is a solid, tough, hard-nosed runner. He has worked hard to put himself in this position, and he wants to have a big season,” said offensive coordinator Skip Holtz in the USC media guide. “Ryan Brewer is the ultimate team guy. I see him playing tailback and wide receiver, and he will be on most of our special teams.”
    The Gamecocks’ biggest hole to fill is replacing three-year starter Phil Petty at quarterback. USC will look to senior Corey Jenkins to hold down the fort for the 2002 season.
    Since the arrival of Lou Holtz in Columbia, the Gamecocks have relied on their defense to win games. For that tradition to continue, the Gamecocks will need to fill some big shoes.
    Kalimba Edwards, USC’s leading tackler and team leader, left for the NFL and the Gamecocks lost both starting cornerbacks to graduation.
    Safeties Rashard Faison and Deanre Eiland return for the Gamecock secondary, but they will need help from new cornerbacks. Nose tackle Langston Moore should anchor the defensive line and defensive end Dennis Quinn will return to help on the outside.
    One plus for the Gamecocks this season will be the return of both kicking specialists from last season. Senior punter Tyeler Dean averaged 43 yards per punt last season and should help the Gamecocks in the field position battle. Junior place kicker Daniel Weaver returns after hitting a game-winning field goal in the Outback Bowl last season.
    USC will look to newcomers to produce on the field early this season, and should receive help from a very good recruiting class. This Gamecock class was rated as high as seventh in recruiting publications.
    The Gamecocks play New Mexico State, Virginia, Temple and Clemson out of conference this season. USC got a break by hosting Georgia, Mississippi State and Tennessee this season but will have to travel to LSU and Florida.
    Overall, the Gamecocks have a very favorable schedule but, because of a lack of experience, shouldn’t win more than seven games.
    But look for Holtz and his Gamecocks to appear in their third straight bowl.