NCAA visits Mississippi State, talks with several student-athletes, coaches

The name of the game in major college football is “exposure.” Every coach, player, athletic director and fan wants their team talked about, shown or written about on a daily basis. Most fans will never get enough of their team, but for the Mississippi State faithful, enough is enough. Since NCAA officials made their way to the MSU campus in late July, MSU fans have had to put up with more than their share of bad exposure.
    The facts are that NCAA officials came to MSU and interviewed student-athletes, coaches and administration. The NCAA requested to interview student-athletes from a variety of sports, including football and men’s basketball. The NCAA officials will return later in the semester to interview more student-athletes.
    MSU officials have been quick to release information and comment on the investigations since they have ended. All Bulldog officials say that the interviews were to follow-up on a list of self-reported violations that MSU has reported to the NCAA. The fact is, no other charges or allegations have been brought to the attention of any MSU officials.
    Every member school in the NCAA is required to self-police the actions of all individuals involved with the school, from student-athletes to coaches to administration. Self-reported violations are secondary violations a school identifies and corrects. Each school is required to inform the NCAA of the violation and the self-inflicted punishment.
    When the NCAA comes to a school for a specific official investigation, the NCAA sends the school a public letter of investigation with charges to be investigated outlined. Schools that receive this letter know they are being investigated and what for. Many that receive this are later punished. MSU has not received this letter.
    The reason for the latest interviews at MSU have many believed causes. Coach Jackie Sherrill has been quick to point out the mudslinging that goes on in the SEC between member schools. Many rumors start in the recruiting wars for big-name recruits, others start over pure jealousy of another school. In both cases they are still rumors with no backing of truth.
    The fact remains that no one in the SEC cared what MSU did while they were hosting the Bulldogs for homecoming. But, when MSU begins to contend for SEC titles on a yearly basis, the coaches are cheating and the players were bought. Now it is up to the Bulldogs to fight for the right “exposure,” and not stoop to the level of other schools.