Traditions collide, legends surface

Someone had to lose. Since there can’t be ties in college football anymore, someone has to lose every weekend, and there was one game this weekend that definitely should have been declared a draw. When two of the top college football traditions met in Norman, Okla. this weekend, someone was going to have to lose. I’m not an Alabama fan by any stretch of the imagination, but Alabama should have beaten Oklahoma, and for those who know me, a statement like that is groundbreaking.
    It can also be said that championship teams find a way to win no matter what the circumstances are, and Oklahoma found a way. The only question is, where do these two teams go from here? Well, let’s take a look.
    Let’s first start with Oklahoma. The Sooners lost their starting quarterback, Jason White, for the season–again. White blew out his left knee at Nebraska last season and then did the same to his right knee Saturday against ‘Bama. That leaves the Sooners with two quarterbacks.
    Nate Hybl, who won all 11 games for Oklahoma last season despite a miserable offensive performance, now has the job, but backup QB Brent Rawls, who is still recovering from a hand injury, is expected to return and give Hybl a run for his money. For now, though, the Sooners will have to live with Hybl running the show, which may not be such a bad settle.
    Like I mentioned earlier, Hybl did win all 11 games for OU last season, but was almost personally responsible for the Sooners’ two losses, the last of which cost them a shot at the Big XII and national titles.
    Hybl managed to throw for 251 yards against the Crimson Tide on Saturday, but a lot of people (most of whom wear crimson and cream) say Hybl will be the reason that OU is now fading as a contender despite being undefeated and ranked third in the country. My opinion is this: Hybl has three games to prepare himself for Texas on Oct. 12. If Hybl can just be average for the rest of the season and give the Sooners a little bit of offensive spark, the vaunted OU defense should propel the Sooners to a second Big XII title in two years.
    The sad thing for Alabama is that they can’t go to a bowl. I really believe after Saturday that Alabama could not only win the SEC West, but may actually be the best team in the SEC, next to Tennessee.
    I would love to see what Alabama could do if they were given the chance of postseason play, because I think they could really do some damage. But let me ask this question–if Alabama had not been on probation, would they have played like they did Saturday?
    The Crimson Tide STARTED the game with an onside kick that worked, not to mention using a fake field goal that went for a touchdown.
    There were plays that a team with nothing to lose would run, and Alabama was a team with nothing to lose.
    Regardless, Dennis Franchione should be highly praised for his coaching job this week–it’s just sad that he has to suffer because of the moronic actions of Mike DuBose.
    Top 10 College Football Stadiums
    No. 10–LA Coliseum, USC–It’s kind of like Tiger Stadium. When the sun goes down, visiting teams simply do not come out with a win.
    No. 9–Legion Field, Alabama–Although this really isn’t Alabama’s home stadium, it might as well be. The Crimson Tide have more memories locked up in that stadium than can be listed on paper.
    No. 8–Kyle Field, Texas A&M–The entire stadium wears maroon, 90,000 people sing the fight song in unison, and if that isn’t scary enough, they all start swaying. Maybe everything is bigger in Texas.
    No. 7–Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Florida–If you’ve ever seen a Florida home game on television, you would know what I’m talking about. It’s really beyond explanation.
    No. 6–Memorial Stadium, Nebraska–A Nebraska home game has not had an empty seat since the 1960s, not to mention the fact that it seems like EVERYONE wears red.
    No. 5–Rose Bowl–UCLA plays their home games in this shrine of college football, but it is more well-known for the one game it hosts on New Year’s Day–The Rose Bowl.
    No. 4–Ohio Stadium, Ohio State–Another one of the marvels of college football. It’s also home to one of the most famous traditions around–the OSU band “dotting the I.”
    No. 3–Neyland Stadium, Tennessee–105,000 people wearing orange screaming the words to “Rocky Top.” It drives opposition insane.
    No. 2–Michigan Stadium, Michigan–Also known as “the big house,” the Wolverines regularly play at home in front of well over 100,000 fans. I’ve never experienced it firsthand, but the noise from what I understand is ridiculous.
    No. 1–Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame–“touchdown Jesus” overlooks this ultimate shrine of college football. Home to arguably the greatest school in the history of college football, Notre Dame Stadium is one of the most well-known venues in sports.