Crosby Arboretum provides safe haven for rare plants

The Crosby Arboretum, part of Mississippi State University Extension, is a facility organized through coastal Mississippi dedicated to displaying the state’s native plants and ecosystems of the Gulf Coast. The organization, located in Picayune Miss., manages over 1,000 acres of land as biological research and study along with 104 acres that show the native plants of the Coast.
    “We have a lot of public education programs addressing a number of aspects of nature such as gardening, forestry, tree and plant identification and natural science,” curator Bob Brzuszek said.
    The Crosby Arboretum began in 1979 and became a part of MSU in 1997. Along with featuring the plants of Mississippi, the Crosby Arboretum preserves plants of special concern, meaning they are rare in Mississippi, such as native orchids and other plants that are disappearing due to habitat change.
    “Due to new developments occurring on these lands, many plants are disappearing,” Brzuszek said.
    Brzuszek added that problems occur because the land is changing from agricultural and private development. Another problem is the use of fire. If the fire is not applied properly, the plants will disappear, and eventually the animals will disappear as well.
    “In active growth, we apply prescribed burning to keep open the sunlight and to return nutrients back into the soil,” Brzuszek said. “It also gives our plants a chance to compete with any exoctic trees that sprout up in the area.”
    The Crosby Arboretum also works closely with organizations in the community.
    “Through extension we do a lot of work with master gardeners, junior gardeners, 4-H and scout programs,” Brzuszek said.
    The Crosby Arboretum also provides a variety of programs. The Food Canning Demonstration, which will be Sept. 5 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., teaches people about food preparation.
    “The key is natural and cultural history,” Brzuszek said. “We’re teaching how people who lived in this area years ago used these skills. This was their way of survival.”
    Boy and Girl Scout Day, where all districts can enjoy a free day at the Arboretum with canoeing, fishing, nature hikes and badge classes, is Sept. 14, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
    The Fall Plant Sale is Sept. 21 and 22, for the public from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be a variety of plants available along with planting demonstrations during the day.
    Coming events in October include the How to Grow It Horticulture Series on Oct. 10, Arboretum Plant Swap Meet on Oct. 12, Environmental Career Day on Oct. 16, and Paint-A-Pumpkin on Oct. 26.
    The Crosby Arboretum has many visitors from around the world each year, including 15,000 visitors last year.
    “People can come here and are able to get a taste of what original Mississippi is about and learn about plants and wildlife in our area,” Brzuszek said.
    The Crosby Arboretum is open Wednesday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission for adults is $4 and $2 for children under 12.
    For more information on the Crosby Arboretum call (601) 799-2311.